Which pasta shapes do you use?

Hmm, isn't flat (or square-ish) spaghetti actually linguini or fettucini?

Round or tubular pastas are extruded through a dye, although I guess you could somehow roll flatter shapes to be more rounded.

You really have to be pretty, umm, particular to care about such intracacies, though. :hungry:

Hmm, isn't flat (or square-ish) spaghetti actually linguini or fettucini?

Round or tubular pastas are extruded through a dye, although I guess you could somehow roll flatter shapes to be more rounded.

You really have to be pretty, umm, particular to care about such intracacies, though. :hungry:

The image I showed above is definitely taglatelle. It is often sold curled into nest. Linguine 'strips' are not as wide but the same flat long thin shape. Its interesting though - because @medtran49 called the tagliatelle image 'spaghetti'. In the UK we wouldn't ever call the flat type, 'spaghetti'. Spaghetti is only ever the long thin rounded type.

The difference between tagliatelle and fettucine, however, seems to be very marginal:

Tagliatelle is the flat rolled pasta noodle of the Emigia-Romagna (which includes Bologna) and Marche regions. Usually it's made fresh, then cooked. Fettucine is the flat wide noodle of the same width, but theoretically a shade thicker, found in the cooking of Rome.
https://thegarumfactory.net/2013/11/29/you-say-tagliatelle-i-say-fettucine/

I think we should ask @Sandra or @MypinchofItaly! I'm certainly no expert....

The image I showed above is definitely taglatelle. It is often sold curled into nest. Linguine 'strips' are not as wide but the same flat long thin shape. Its interesting though - because @medtran49 called the tagliatelle image 'spaghetti'. In the UK we wouldn't ever call the flat type, 'spaghetti'. Spaghetti is only ever the long thin rounded type.

The difference between tagliatelle and fettucine, however, seems to be very marginal:

https://thegarumfactory.net/2013/11/29/you-say-tagliatelle-i-say-fettucine/

I think we should ask @Sandra or @MypinchofItaly! I'm certainly no expert....

Actually, I didn't, I called it pasta. See the quote in your post #32. The spaghetti reference was to the length of the chitarra pasta.

Actually, I didn't, I called it pasta. See the quote in your post #32.

The reference to spaghetti was to chitarra in my post # when I was trying to explain the shape. I should have used pasta, but my focus was trying to get across the shape explanation.

Sorry - my mistake! Its all gets confusing sometimes. :hyper: :oops:

You're forgiven:roflmao: I've used spaghetti a couple of times I should have used pasta in other posts.

But, I've heard American-Italians in restaurants call pasta shapes like penne, rigatoni, etc., spaghetti, so I guess it's what you are used to.

You're forgiven:roflmao: I've used spaghetti a couple of times I should have used pasta in other posts.

But, I've heard American-Italians in restaurants call pasta shapes like penne, rigatoni, etc., spaghetti, so I guess it's what you are used to.

I've also heard pasta called noodles - not so much in the UK but in American shows.

Yes, when I was a kid, it was either called noodles if it were long pasta, or macaroni if it was just about any other shape.

@morning glory it is correct!
For me it's too difficult in this moment to explain in English but the most important difference is that tagliatelle, fettuccine and spaghetti alla chitarra is fresh egg pasta (it is possible to buy them dry), spaghetti and linguine is dry pasta without egg
Tagliatelle
20180513_200432.png
Fettuccine
20180513_200304.png
Spaghetti alla chitarra
20180513_200401.png
Spaghetti
20180513_200332.png
Linguine
20180513_200456.png

For me it's too difficult in this moment to explain in English but the most important difference is that tagliatelle, fettuccine and spaghetti alla chitarra is fresh egg pasta (it is possible to buy them dry), spaghetti and linguine is dry pasta without egg
Tagliatelle

Oh - that complicates things even more - with or without egg! :laugh:

The pasta shape itself is called cavatappi.

Says 'amori' on the packet. :( I think these Italians just give things lots of different names to confuse us. Wiki says:

Cavatappi is the Italian word for corkscrew. It is known by other names, including cellentani, amori, spirali, or tortiglione. It is usually scored with lines or ridges (rigati in Italian) on the surface. Cavatappi is a type of macaroni, or thick, hollow pasta that is made without using eggs.

@morning glory
the other important aspect is that in Italy pasta is made with durum wheat, abroad, in the past, I found only soft wheat pasta. I don't know now :)

Back
Top Bottom