Which records have had an impact on your life

I have been pondering this for a while, unable to pin down a particular song. A light bulb came on yesterday when Johnny Walker played Bohemian Rhapsody on Sounds of the Seventies. Other than nursery songs (Puff the Magic Dragon, Morningtown Ride, Two Little Boys etc.) I didn't like pop music at all in my early childhood. I found glam rock a bit scary and other early seventies stuff (which I now love) seemed too grown up and sophisticated. Bohemian Rhapsody was probably the first time I liked a record that my parents did too. It marked the start of my interest in music.

The other track that springs to mind is Geno by Dexys Midnight Runners. They were the first band I ever saw live. A friend and I sneaked out to a local nightclub where they were playing (early eighties). Despite being under-aged, my friend (who knew the club owner) got us in through the back door in exchange for us helping to load the band's kit onto their van after the concert. As "staff" we managed to get right in front of the stage, right in front of the brass section belting out the chorus to Geno. The raw power of those sax's, trumpets and trombones totally blew my mind. I still get goosebumps thinking about it.
:highfive:

My first 2 albums I bought were big brother and the holding company featuring Janis Joplin. And a deep purple record. Lps . I love rock a lot , always have, fave band is the ramones. Love loud music to this day. When I was 15 I was hanging with some rough people, smoking dope etc. then love came along at 16 , then my girlfriend got pregnant. So I grew up real quick. No drugs again. We are still together.

Russ

My first 2 albums I bought were big brother and the holding company featuring Janis Joplin. And a deep purple record. Lps . I love rock a lot , always have, fave band is the ramones. Love loud music to this day. When I was 15 I was hanging with some rough people, smoking dope etc. then love came along at 16 , then my girlfriend got pregnant. So I grew up real quick. No drugs again. We are still together.

Russ

That is a big story tucked in a nutshell. Its very unusual for a love relationship which began at 16 to last so long - or should I say 'stay the course' as I know you love racing! :)

I liked Janis Joplin too.

That is a big story tucked in a nutshell. Its very unusual for a love relationship which began at 16 to last so long - or should I say 'stay the course' as I know you love racing! :)

I liked Janis Joplin too.

I came from a single parent family. Mum raised 3 of us from when I was 3. I always swore my kids would grow up different to me.My wife's family Dad died when she was about 7 so her mum raised 9 kids. It really was love at first sight. My wife gave birth to our first at 15. I worked 2 jobs and I've done pretty good with my background. We still get on like a house on fire. My kids are all involved in their communities as well. I think I've done a good job.

Russ

My first 2 albums I bought were big brother and the holding company featuring Janis Joplin. And a deep purple record. Lps . I love rock a lot , always have, fave band is the ramones. Love loud music to this day.
Russ

I have terrible tinnitis, but I still crank the crank the car stereo to 11 for some songs.

My son got really emabarrassed the other day when I pulled into the parking lot of his school to pick him up from practice, and I was cranking AC\DC.

In 1973 Van Morrison's concerts in California and London were televised as a special on BBC. I bought the vinyl albums ("It's Too Late To Stop Now") the following year and the CD when it was produced quite a few years later.

Albums don't come better than that!

Last edited:
Two albums that I listened to over and over again, were the Rolling Stones' Sticky Fingers album with the zipper on the front LOL, and the Beatles' Rubber Soul album.

I have terrible tinnitis, but I still crank the crank the car stereo to 11 for some songs.

My son got really emabarrassed the other day when I pulled into the parking lot of his school to pick him up from practice, and I was cranking AC\DC.
I think my hearing is starting to bear the fruits of years of car stereo abuse. Nothing beats Radiohead's Creep at full volume - a real test of quality of sound system.

Speaking of Janis my 2 fave tracks are combination of the two, and piece of my heart baby, both with big brother and the holding company.

Russ
My first 2 albums I bought were big brother and the holding company featuring Janis Joplin...

Russ

Saw Janis Joplin when she was with Big Brother & the Holding Co. live, as the warm-up act for Jimi Hendrix. What a show! It was the first time I saw someone destroy their guitar. lol.

Saw Janis Joplin when she was with Big Brother & the Holding Co. live, as the warm-up act for Jimi Hendrix. What a show! It was the first time I saw someone destroy their guitar. lol.

Wow, you were so lucky, I like that song with the intro," 4 gentlemen and one great great broad."

Russ

Jimi Hendrix is one of the musicians vying for top on my as yet unresolved answer to this thread. Purple Haze, of course...

Back
Top Bottom