Which Side Of Tinfoil To Use

Jade

Veteran
Local time
10:30 AM
I use tinfoil a fair amount when I cook, and I've often wondered which side is the proper one to use if there is a better side to use at all.

I often use the shiny side to place my food on because I just imagine that the shinier side would be smoother and thus make for less chances for my food to stick, but it hasn't always proven true unless I apply a bit of oil.

Which side of the foil do you use, and does it really make a difference which one you use?

That's a good question.

If I'm putting bacon in an oven, and tin foil covers the pan to stop the oil getting to it, then the shiny side touches the bacon.

If I'm keeping something wrapped and covered with tin foil to keep insects out and maybe heat and moisture in, then the matte side faces the food.

Why? Only because that's how I've seen it done on television and YouTube, how my mother used to wrap it probably for the same reason... I do not know the reason behind this or if I'm even doing it right. I'd be interested to read more answers about this! :)

Good question! I'm not sure if there is a wrong or right way to use foil but I only put my foods on the shiny side. Its been a habit to use it this way and its the way I've witnessed by many others.

It really doesn't matter what side of the foil that the food comes in contact with. The matte or shininess have no bearing on the transfer of the heat to the food that you are cooking.

I agree, I do not think it really matters which side you use. But, that being said, I do make sure the shiny side is on the outside. I have never really thought about it before. I guess it is just one of those things you learned from watching Mom, Grandma, etc. cook!

Back
Top Bottom