Recipe White Bean and Kale Soup

Local time
4:22 AM
I have seen some speak of soup in the cold of winter but on a summer's day I am happy with a bowl of soup all the same. Granted, soup in my household is requested mostly when someone is ill but I still like to stock up my soup recipes. So here goes my White Bean and Kale Soup. Just so you know, I don't think I've seen any white beans around here but green ones are just as well for this recipe I would think.
edea422511abd5a892b5eb414ff31b3c.jpg

White Bean and Kale Soup

Servings: about 8

Ingredients

1-2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 stalks celery, chopped
1/2 cup carrots, chopped (about 1-2 medium carrots)
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups water
4 cups vegetable broth
5-6 red potatoes, chopped (I leave the skins on!)
Two 15-ounce cans cannellini beans (white kidney beans), or 5 cups fresh cooked beans
One large bunch kale (any type-I’ve used all kinds, but I like lacinato for this), deveined and torn into pieces
1/4 cup heavy cream, optional
Salt and pepper, to taste

Instructions

1. In a sauté pan over medium heat, heat the olive oil until shimmering.
2. Add the celery, carrots, and onion, and cook, until the onions are softened, about 4-5 minutes or so.
3. Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly, for another minute or so. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. Meanwhile, in a large saucepot over medium-high heat, bring the water and the vegetable broth to a boil.
5. Add the cooked vegetables and the potatoes to the boiling water/broth mixture. Reduce the heat to medium-low and let simmer for about 20-30 minutes (or until the potatoes are cooked through).
6. Add the beans, kale, and the cream (if using) and cook, stirring frequently, until completely heated through and the kale is wilted, about 10-15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Source: A Curvy Carrot original. http://www.thecurvycarrot.com/2012/10/17/white-bean-and-kale-soup/

This recipe looks really nice and healthy. I feel like drinking some of it now but I guess I will have to be satisfied with just looking at it on my computer screen for the time being. It seems to be packed with nutrients. I have always heard about kale but don't think I have ever eaten any.

Very healthy, @winterybella! :D Don't you get canned white beans there? I suppose I'm spoilt as I can buy almost any kind of beans here in the UK.
I honestly can't say I have seen the beans but then again I have not been doing much of the shopping for some time now. I suspect more and more products are being imported in recent years. You just have to know where to find them.
This recipe looks really nice and healthy. I feel like drinking some of it now but I guess I will have to be satisfied with just looking at it on my computer screen for the time being. It seems to be packed with nutrients. I have always heard about kale but don't think I have ever eaten any.
I picked up some kale this weekend in the mall: Sheraton Mall. Since I work there I sometimes stop in at the small vegetable store and pick up a few bits and pieces. @Caribbean girl, have you seen the white beans around here?

I picked up some kale this weekend in the mall: Sheraton Mall. Since I work there I sometimes stop in at the small vegetable store and pick up a few bits and pieces. @Caribbean girl, have you seen the white beans around here?

No, I cannot say that I remember seeing the white beans around here. I am not sure if we get them here, but I may very well have passed them during my shopping trips and not paid any attention to them. Can't remember ever eating any either.

No, I cannot say that I remember seeing the white beans around here. I am not sure if we get them here, but I may very well have passed them during my shopping trips and not paid any attention to them. Can't remember ever eating any either.
Have you visit the new Price Lo wholesale like store, the one that was once JBs? Back in the day I could go to that supermarket and get things I might not see elsewhere. If you visit the new set up now, it carries so few items. I am guessing if I see any of them it's going to be at the Oistins Massy Store.

Have you visit the new Price Lo wholesale like store, the one that was once JBs? Back in the day I could go to that supermarket and get things I might not see elsewhere. If you visit the new set up now, it carries so few items. I am guessing if I see any of them it's going to be at the Oistins Massy Store.

No I have not visited the new Price Lo wholesale store as yet so I don't know how in there is set up but I'll be curious to see what they offer. I wonder if the prices are lower there on certain products, taking into consideration the name of the store 'Price Lo?'

No I have not visited the new Price Lo wholesale store as yet so I don't know how in there is set up but I'll be curious to see what they offer. I wonder if the prices are lower there on certain products, taking into consideration the name of the store 'Price Lo?'
The prices are suppose to be lower but I really can't be sure. My husband has been doing most of the shopping in recent times so he would know and he didn't go with me. I just know you can expect to find things are not not staples so to speak so the white beans would never be there.

Back
Top Bottom