Who are your favourite TV Chefs and Programmes?

Elawin

Guru
Local time
12:05 PM
My favourites chefs are James Martin and Paul Hollywood (who is actually a master baker). I also like Nigel Slater, who is a cook and food writer, journalist, and broadcaster, and Nigella - who couldn't like her? I trust their recipes implicitly, even if what I cook from their recipes doesn't always turn out how they made it. I don't have a favourite programme as such, but usually watch James Martin's programmes, and Bake Off, but the one to watch at the moment is Nigel Slater's Middle East. The first episode was on last night about the food of Lebanon. I have already watched it again, and am still salivating.

I have Good Food channel on most of the day - mostly it shows older BBC series including all the cooks/chefs that @Elawin mentions. Lately I've been watching Ottolenghi. I have a couple of his books. He is very good for pomegranate recipes! I wouldn't say he is my favourite presenter but his recipes are very good.

Cooking shows :hyper: I watch all of the ones available on my cable service. Not as many as I used to have. Cable is stupid, crazy expensive. A year ago G cut back on some of the cable channels.

Chopped - all versions, Master Chef, Worst Cook in America (not much good for recipes but funny), Giada DeLaurentis, Ina Garten, The Pioneer Woman, Cup Cake Wars, Cake Wars, Iron Chef America.

I like Gordon Ramsay on Master Chef but I do not like Hell's Kitchen - his mouth is just too much. I do not care for Farmhouse Rules - IDK why but the hostess just gets on my last nerve.

Before Iron Chef America I watched the original Iron Chef - the dubbing cracked me up. There are others that I watch.

Non cooking shows - my fave is Fixer Upper. Unfortunately this is their last season. Andrew Zimmer - all of his shows. Anthony Bourdain. - he cracks me up. Diners, Drive Ins and Dives - sometimes. Pit Bulls and Parolees, Animal Cops Houston. My Cat From Hell.

Obviously I do not watch them all.

Sit Com - The Big Bang Theory.

I have Good Food channel on most of the day - mostly it shows older BBC series including all the cooks/chefs that @Elawin mentions. Lately I've been watching Ottolenghi. I have a couple of his books. He is very good for pomegranate recipes! I wouldn't say he is my favourite presenter but his recipes are very good.
I don't watch many of the old BBC series on there, mainly because I've already seen them and recorded them, but there are a few I've missed over the years. You've just reminded me, I found some Ottolenghi recipes online that looked rather interesting. Unfortunately, when my laptop was repaired, all my favourites somehow got deleted :mad: I'll have to have another search for them.

@ElizabethB I forgot about Anthony Bourdain. I've got some of his shows on DVD somewhere. Diners, Drive Ins and Dives usually leaves me cold, but sometimes they come up with something interesting.

I watch triple "D" because it gives me lots of ideas. Most shows today are some type of competition, which I can take or leave. I mostly watch cooking shows on PBS or Create. They are actually cooking shows!:eek:

I watch triple "D" because it gives me lots of ideas. Most shows today are some type of competition, which I can take or leave. I mostly watch cooking shows on PBS or Create. They are actually cooking shows!:eek:

We occasionally watch triple d but a lot of the food looks fatty and covered with thick heavy sauces, when some cook 'greens' they end up looking grey. I haven't watched all of them.

Regional cooking. On a few occasions when traveling, I have checked DDD to see if any local eateries have been featured on the show. Mom and Pop joints can be hidden gems. The kind of place you would not know about unless you are a local.

Regional cooking. On a few occasions when traveling, I have checked DDD to see if any local eateries have been featured on the show. Mom and Pop joints can be hidden gems. The kind of place you would not know about unless you are a local.

One of our member's eateries has been featured in DDD...

We occasionally watch triple d but a lot of the food looks fatty and covered with thick heavy sauces, when some cook 'greens' they end up looking grey. I haven't watched all of them.

I tend to agree. Everything seems to be huge portions too. But there are hidden gems and some interesting tips from the chefs/cooks that I make notes about sometimes.

An active member ? What eatery and where?
@Rocklobster. Hasn't posted much of late - you can catch some of his lovely photos (home cooking) in the what did you eat today thread somewhere. To see someone's posts click on their profile page etc. He posted a photo of the place in My Photos - see here #14.

I have watched the episode featuring his place - by accident, it just came on TV. Looks fab!

Last edited:
Christopher Ekpiken..jpg
640_640.jpg
Joel Allette.jpg

This young teen (Christopher Ekpikin & others like him, such as Joel Allette (in bottom 2 pics) want to be chefs when they grow up!

He has appeared on the Food Network many times in kids' cooking shows. God bless them!! Joel looks grown up now.:wink:

Last edited:
I dont watch tv but I will watch some vids online.

I will say whats up to the real chef celebrity Jamie Oliver. You think he reads these forums?

Back
Top Bottom