Who buys kitchen stuff second hand?

Bread machines are at the thrift a lot...mostly cheaper ones...i was lucky to find the cuisinart. I don't how thrifts are elsewhere but here in Florida lots of stuff end up at the thrifts as people downsize.

Bread machines are at the thrift a lot...mostly cheaper ones...i was lucky to find the cuisinart. I don't how thrifts are elsewhere but here in Florida lots of stuff end up at the thrifts as people downsize.
Are your thrifts the same as our charity shops? As in run by charities to raise money for good causes?

Are your thrifts the same as our charity shops? As in run by charities to raise money for good causes?

Most are for charity causes. Some are for profit. We also have "Flea Markets" were vendors set up booths to sell there wares. Some have Farmer's Markets as well. Some are weekend warriors and some are open everyday. The vendors rent the booths/stalls at pretty low cost. In the early 2000's, an employee of a company I worked for in the '90's was found selling goods from that company at one of them that were open daily. He happened to be the Dive Store manager and checked in all products coming into the store. A position that allowed him to direct where those products went. Like one for the company and one for me.

There are also what they might call Yard Sales. These are items that you'd find in front of peoples houses, usually sold on the property;s front lawn or yard. They are usually held during pleasant weather on Saturdays.

Most of the time, you can score some pretty good deals there, ranging from furniture to household items to clothes, even kitchen stuff!! :wink:

Thrifts often are for charity tho some's definition of charity is very broad. My area has 3 Goodwills...a for profit charity...they train people with mental and physical challenges for work and also provide lower cost housing options for the handicapped, 3 Habitat stores...they build homes for low income families, a large Salvation Army Family Store...i actually am kinda unclear exactly what they do but they have a church so no taxes are charged on their items, a Meals on Wheels thrift...they provide meals for shut ins...a Fabulous Finds thrift...it is a food bank and they do something with homeless Veterans, a Humanity shop...they run an animal shelter to rehome pets, a Trash to Treasure store...it raises money for the community center where it is housed, a variety of churches have small thrifts to benefit the upkeep of their church and missions overseas.

Then there are resale shops that just go out and buy peoples old junk cheap and sell it at their retail place with a markup. And consignment shops where people take their used stuff and the shop slaps a price on it and takes a large cut of the price when it sells. Flea markets, yard sales, community sales, and auction houses, are also great for second hand finds.

I don't know what any of the equitable names of these shops are oversesa cause i have only ever been within the borders of the U.S.

If I'm in a thrift store, I have to make up my mind as to whether I want the item that I'm looking at quickly. If I don't, then I'd be regretting it later, because stuff like that is a one-of-a-kind thing!! :headshake:

I bought THIS second-hand from E-bay. I plan to use it soon!! :wink:

Forgot about this also! Bought it used from Ebay to avoid spending more money on a new one. Works just as good on all speeds & everything else. Only thing is that I had to buy the bowl, beaters & splash cover separately, which I've already done. Just have to spray-paint some spots to hide where the chips are. :wink:

Ordered this Vacuum Seal machine used.Saved $10 off the regular price. Hard to get. Keeps on selling out!!

I have a similar Foodsaver. The external vacuum hose is nice to have. I have both sizes of Mason Jar attachments, so I can vacuum seal things I jar up.

CD

My food processor was second hand 40? Years ago, the bowl was replaced about 5 years ago from someone my wife knew. I can't believe it's still going, I whizzed over 2 kgs of chicken today.
It's a ralta. It's prolly processed hundreds of litres of tomato sauce if not thousands.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom