Who eats Low-Sodium Bacon?

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
9:23 AM
I find it to taste far less salty than regular bacon!
It is intolerable & has too much sodium . Of coarse, we all know that low-sodium products are a bit more healthier.

I have HBP, and too much salt raises the blood pressure to near-dangerous levels!! :eek:

"hi test"

What is 'hi test'?

I never thought about it before. Frankly, I don't worry about salt. The 'fact' that too much salt causes high blood pressure has been debunked. It was based on a flawed study a very long time ago. Yet doctors in the UK and in the USA continue to promote the idea that salt is bad for you.

Anyway, I don't know if I can get low salt bacon here. I expect I can. Does it taste very different?

What is 'hi test'?

I never thought about it before. Frankly, I don't worry about salt. The 'fact' that too much salt causes high blood pressure has been debunked. It was based on a flawed study a very long time ago. Yet doctors in the UK and in the USA continue to promote the idea that salt is bad for you.

Anyway, I don't know if I can get low salt bacon here. I expect I can. Does it taste very different?

Full Monty Bacon:okay:.

What is 'hi test'?

Sainsburys sell it.

Salt in bacon has been decreasing over the years. If I'm able to get it, I'll get the hard cured bacon. Mild cured is the new hard cured.

Is low sodium bacon the stuff that is more like wet paper in texture, due to low sodium salt being used?

Get a gun. Gotta shoot myself!! :wacky:
Have a bacon buttie instead.

On a serious note, is this the sort of stuff you meant when you said low sodium,
losalt-reduced-sodium-salt-low-salt-single-portion-sachets-139-p.jpg

or did you mean less salt in general?

Last edited:
Less salt in general.

Food co's, per order of the FDA (Food & Drug Administration) are supposed to be lowering the salt content in processed food, but more can & should be done. The time limit is supposed to be 10 years from whatever date.

It has become a serious health issue, brought on by health advocates & activists who are striving for healthier foods to eat without having tons of sodium in them. :wink:

The deal is that the FDA can require reduced sodium in processed foods but they can not take the salt shaker out of a person's hand. IDK about reduced sodium bacon. Processed meats that I use for cooking - ham hocks, tasso, andouille I expect the salt and compensate by not adding any or very little at the end of the cooking process - after tasting. I use Better than Bouillon Base instead of boxed/canned broth. It is high in sodium so I rarely add any salt. I am not a big fan of seasoning mixes. Most are salt based. I want more control. Salt is a tough one. I like my salt and have to be careful not to get heavy handed with it. We both take meds for HBP so a little less salt would be beneficial. One thing I do find a little over salted is deli meat - especially the pre-packed kind. Even the sliced to order can be over salted. Depends on the brand.

No fact - just a supposition - I think people like those on this forum who enjoy cooking are more prone to cooking with fresh products and less processed foods - more control over the sodium content.

Do you ever look into the shopping carts of folks paying with Food Stamps? Very little, if any fresh foods - mostly boxed, canned and pre-packaged. Lots of junk food and snack items. The County Extension Office used to offer free seminars geared to food stamp recipients on how to shop for and prepare healthy, economic meals. The program was dropped due to lack of interest.

:oops: Sorry - off topic.

The deal is that the FDA can require reduced sodium in processed foods but they can not take the salt shaker out of a person's hand. IDK about reduced sodium bacon. Processed meats that I use for cooking - ham hocks, tasso, andouille I expect the salt and compensate by not adding any or very little at the end of the cooking process - after tasting. I use Better than Bouillon Base instead of boxed/canned broth. It is high in sodium so I rarely add any salt. I am not a big fan of seasoning mixes. Most are salt based. I want more control. Salt is a tough one. I like my salt and have to be careful not to get heavy handed with it. We both take meds for HBP so a little less salt would be beneficial. One thing I do find a little over salted is deli meat - especially the pre-packed kind. Even the sliced to order can be over salted. Depends on the brand.

No fact - just a supposition - I think people like those on this forum who enjoy cooking are more prone to cooking with fresh products and less processed foods - more control over the sodium content.

Do you ever look into the shopping carts of folks paying with Food Stamps? Very little, if any fresh foods - mostly boxed, canned and pre-packaged. Lots of junk food and snack items. The County Extension Office used to offer free seminars geared to food stamp recipients on how to shop for and prepare healthy, economic meals. The program was dropped due to lack of interest.

:oops: Sorry - off topic.

Smoked meats are not a problem for me, since I'm boiling them anyway to help season a pot of greens or dried beans. The salt will come out and they'll taste just like they had no salt in the first place. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom