Who eats Low-Sodium Bacon?

I don't do salt (there's usually enough natural salt in food without adding any), but if I'm having rashers of bacon it has to be the real deal. If I get a bacon joint, I often soak it before cooking. If I use salt in any recipes or put it on any food, then it has to be sea salt - you only need about half the amount to get the same taste, and I use even less than that. Lo-sodium? You can keep it.

BTW - I suffer from osteoporosis. Apparently one of the causes is too little salt in the diet. But I am also what they call a supertaster - I can taste even the natural salt in food for ages. You have to watch soluble medications too - they often have salt in them. One of the painkillers I was on contained 1g of salt per tablet, and you had to take 8 of them a day :eek:. I use simple Paracetamol instead.

Last edited:
I don't do salt (there's usually enough natural salt in food without adding any), but if I'm having rashers of bacon it has to be the real deal. If I get a bacon joint, I often soak it before cooking. If I use salt in any recipes or put it on any food, then it has to be sea salt - you only need about half the amount to get the same taste, and I use even less than that. Lo-sodium? You can keep it.

BTW - I suffer from osteoporosis. Apparently one of the causes is too little salt in the diet. But I am also what they call a supertaster - I can taste even the natural salt in food for ages. You have to watch soluble medications too - they often have salt in them. One of the painkillers I was on contained 1g of salt per tablet, and you had to take 8 of them a day :eek:. I use simple Paracetamol instead.

Don't feel guilty

It's truly your decision. You make it as you please. I won't call the food police. Hah!! :wink:

@Shermie

But I am also what they call a supertaster - I can taste even the natural salt in food for ages.

About 20 minutes ago I had a cup of drinking chocolate made with boiled, filtered water. The chocolate has <0.01 g of salt per 100 g. I used 1 heaped teaspoon of chocolate powder (about 7 g). All I can taste now is salt - that's how bad it gets.

@Shermie
About 20 minutes ago I had a cup of drinking chocolate made with boiled, filtered water. The chocolate has <0.01 g of salt per 100 g. I used 1 heaped teaspoon of chocolate powder (about 7 g). All I can taste now is salt - that's how bad it gets.

Oh dear. Must be difficult if you eat out!

Oh dear. Must be difficult if you eat out!
I rarely eat out these days. Allergies and intolerances are a nightmare. It's often easier to get a takeaway if needs must, but I do prefer to cook my own food so I know what goes into it. Even though my daughter is well aware of what I can and cannot have, she still makes the occasional faux pas, and of course it is even worse bearing in mind that both she and one of my granddaughters have different intolerances and allergies to each other and to me. One of the safest meals, I've found, is a normal roast dinner, preferably without gravy.

Back
Top Bottom