Who is having pancakes today?

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
1:00 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
So it's Shrove Tuesday today. March 5th.
Who ' celebrates ' it with the start of Lent? And who just uses it as an excuse for pancakes?

I know we fall in the latter category as just using it as an excuse to have pancakes. I only make them dairy free, not vegan. We have a surpluse of eggs having a large flock of chickens. And this year ,for the first time, we have a good supply of free and very fresh lemons, so lemons and sugar will be the topping. Photos might follow .

I love pancakes. :cook: Not celebrating, but on March 12 IHOP (International House of Pancakes) offers a free short stack of buttermilk pancakes. This year, their new flavor is Oreo cookie pancakes. Too sweet for me. Lol. I might have a few chocolate chip waffles in the freezer. :wink: Bring on the fresh strawberries.

Last edited:
Ihop is way too crowded on those freebie days...i would prefer not to wait 2 hours for my meal. Have you ever had pancakes at First Watch? The banana granola ones are yummy but they are huge...don't get a stack, one will do ya.

Ihop is way too crowded on those freebie days...i would prefer not to wait 2 hours for my meal. Have you ever had pancakes at First Watch? The banana granola ones are yummy but they are huge...don't get a stack, one will do ya.

Hmmm, I've only heard of First Watch in the Sarasota, FL area. Ate there many times. Didn't realize there were so many. Their food was pretty good. I've got nothing like that around where I live now unfortunately. My son does like mine though and I almost made them today. Almost :)

Mine have been made, well the batter has (dairy free of course) and is sitting thickening/maturing on the counter in time for tea (dinner to most). I cook them as they are eaten, so we eat in turns and cook in turns once I have decided that the griddle is up to temperature.

Lemons to be picked off the tree just before using. They'll still be warm , just like the eggs were!

Lemons to be picked off the tree just before using. They'll still be warm , just like the eggs were!
Wow, they must be the most delicious pancakes.

I'll also be making dairy free pancakes. Eggs are local but not warm from the back garden! Lemon and sugar will be on some and golden syrup on others. I think this will be lunch.

Last edited:
I shall be cooking/eating pancakes very shortly. Lime and a little sugar.

Nothing to do with lent.

Images to follow.

Wow, they must be the most delicious pancakes.

I'll also be making dairy free pancakes. Eggs are local but not warm from the back garden! Lemon and sugar will be on some and golden syrup on others. I think this will be lunch.

Mmmmm. Will you guys share your luscious lemon pancake recipes? I'll bring the virtual blueberries. :hungry:

2 s.jpg

3 s.jpg

So it's Shrove Tuesday today. March 5th.
Who ' celebrates ' it with the start of Lent? And who just uses it as an excuse for pancakes?
For us its just an excuse for pancakes :laugh:

Tonight's menu was ham and cheese souffle pancakes:

Followed by rolled pancakes with sugar and lemon juice (no pictures of those I'm afraid...but they look just like everyone else's)

Aaaand...here we see another difference between English and US interpretations of a food. I wondered why @Yorky and @SatNavSaysStraightOn rolled them up...they look quite a lot like crepes. Then, I wondered how they rolled them up: if you tried to roll an American pancake, it would certainly break.

It comes down to leavening: the American version uses baking powder (and sometimes also whipped egg whites), whereas the English one doesn't:

Crepe-Pancake-Split-Header-ImageNaggingQuestion.png

Pancakes very nearly became the Dish of the Month for March. If we do this as a cook-along, I'd like to try both methods.

Oh...and, as to the question? Now you're making me want to make pancakes. :cook:

Back
Top Bottom