Whose birthday is it today?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
1:44 PM
This thread is all about birthdays. If its your birthday or the birthday of a friend or relative, let us know and tell us what you are doing to celebrate. Tell us about any special birthday meals, parties or presents. Celebrity birthdays or the birthdays of famous people in history can also be added to the thread.

Today is the birthday of Isambard Kingdom Brunel (9 April 1806 – 15 September 1859) - mechanical and civil engineer who is considered "one of the most ingenious and prolific figures in engineering history",[2] "one of the 19th-century engineering giants",[3] and "one of the greatest figures of the Industrial Revolution, [who] changed the face of the English landscape with his groundbreaking designs and ingenious constructions".Brunel built dockyards, the Great Western Railway, a series of steamships including the first propeller-driven transatlantic steamship, and numerous important bridges and tunnels. His designs revolutionised public transport and modern engineering.

He was born in my home town of Porstmouth, UK.

Screen Shot 2019-04-09 at 10.18.18.png

I had my 66th birthday on February 26th. OMG! I do not mind being 66
I do mind looking older than my age.

turned 50 on Feb 21st

30 anniversary on April 27th. Heading to Mexico on Saturday to celebrate!

@detroitdad
Congratulations to you and your bride. Where in Mexico are you going?
Mexico is a strange place to visit. Beautiful and full of history. It can also be dangerous and depressing. The cities and coastal resorts are some of the most beautiful in the world. The inner cities and rural regions are devastatingly poor. You can not help but cry when you see children with matchstick limbs begging on the side of the road
Bring dollar bills with you. A single U.S. dollar can feed a family for a week
Seriously- do not drink the water. I have not been to the coastal resorts or the major cities
I have been to numerous border towns. I knew better than to drink tap water so I asked for bottled water. Thought I was OK. Did not realize that the bottled water was Mexican not U.S. I have never been so sick in my life
If possible bring water with you.
I do not want to put a damper on your trip. Mexico is an amazing place to visit
So much history and culture. Such beautiful coastal resorts and breathtaking ruins
I hope you have a fabulous trip.
BTW Bring Pepto Bismol tablets. Pepto binds with whatever is causing a stomach upset and it flushes out
Imodiam just stops you up and the nasty stays in your system
Take lots of photos to share.
-

@detroitdad
Congratulations to you and your bride. Where in Mexico are you going?
Mexico is a strange place to visit. Beautiful and full of history. It can also be dangerous and depressing. The cities and coastal resorts are some of the most beautiful in the world. The inner cities and rural regions are devastatingly poor. You can not help but cry when you see children with matchstick limbs begging on the side of the road
Bring dollar bills with you. A single U.S. dollar can feed a family for a week
Seriously- do not drink the water. I have not been to the coastal resorts or the major cities
I have been to numerous border towns. I knew better than to drink tap water so I asked for bottled water. Thought I was OK. Did not realize that the bottled water was Mexican not U.S. I have never been so sick in my life
If possible bring water with you.
I do not want to put a damper on your trip. Mexico is an amazing place to visit
So much history and culture. Such beautiful coastal resorts and breathtaking ruins
I hope you have a fabulous trip.
BTW Bring Pepto Bismol tablets. Pepto binds with whatever is causing a stomach upset and it flushes out
Imodiam just stops you up and the nasty stays in your system
Take lots of photos to share.
-

This is our fourth trip in 10 years. I've learned my lesson about drinking the water.

Thank you for the congratulations. We're starting on the coast in Cancun. All inclusive hotel, Hyatt something or another.

Last edited:
Today is the birthday of Isambard Kingdom Brunel (9 April 1806 – 15 September 1859) - mechanical and civil engineer who is considered "one of the most ingenious and prolific figures in engineering history",[2] "one of the 19th-century engineering giants",[3] and "one of the greatest figures of the Industrial Revolution, [who] changed the face of the English landscape with his groundbreaking designs and ingenious constructions".Brunel built dockyards, the Great Western Railway, a series of steamships including the first propeller-driven transatlantic steamship, and numerous important bridges and tunnels. His designs revolutionised public transport and modern engineering.

He was born in my home town of Porstmouth, UK.

View attachment 23517

:thumbsup: :bravo:

Odette Sansom Hallowes GC, MBE (28 April 1912 – 13 March 1995), also known as Odette Sansom and Odette Churchill, was an Alliedi intelligence officer during the Second World War.

440px-Odette_Sansom.jpg

She was the first woman both to be awarded the George Cross (on 20 August 1946[1]), and to be appointed a Chevalier de la Légion d'honneur[2].She was the most highly decorated woman, and most decorated spy of any gender, during World War II.[3]

Her wartime exploits and endurance of a brutal interrogation and imprisonment, which were chronicled in books and a motion picture, made her one of the most celebrated members of the Special Operations Executive, the British sabotage and espionage organisation, and one of the few to survive Nazi imprisonment.

Read more about her extraordinary story here: Odette_Hallowes

Somehow I missed this thread, I'm also a Pisces, February 24th.
Mg, Portsmouth I've been there, I think there's a replica of the endeavour there? Or am I wrong??

Russ

Somehow I missed this thread, I'm also a Pisces, February 24th.
Mg, Portsmouth I've been there, I think there's a replica of the endeavour there? Or am I wrong??

Russ

Its the 'The Victory' and its not a replica! I get on really well with Pisces for some reason. I always have. Not that I really believe in star sign mythologies.

Its the 'The Victory' and its not a replica! I get on really well with Pisces for some reason. I always have. Not that I really believe in star sign mythologies.

Lol, I recently was in a bar on the gc, a lady was at the bar ordering drinks as it was her birthday, she was a Pisces as well, I kept her and her friends entertained for an hour over star signs, I said I was on the cusp, lol, I don't even know what that is?? Lol. It was very funny. A lady friend I was with when I went back to the table we were at couldn't believe I'd been talking to a group of strangers for an hour. Random eh ? But that's me,lol.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom