Whose really in charge of your household food?

classic33

Legendary Member
Local time
3:01 PM
From here, comes this story Hot on the heels of the Aga app.
Google shuts down Burger King's cunning TV ad
"Just under three hours after Burger King unveiled a new advertisement designed to hijack your Google Home to read a long-winded description of its Whopper burger, Google has disabled the functionality. It was fun / horrifying while it lasted!

As of 2:45PM ET, Google Home will no longer respond when prompted by the specific Burger King commercial that asks “What is the Whopper burger?” It does, however, still respond with the top result from Wikipedia when someone else (i.e., a real user) other than the advertisement asks the same question. Google has likely registered the sound clip from the ad to disable unwanted Home triggers, as it does with its own Google Home commercials.

After the ad debuted at 12PM ET today, many users have edited the Wikipedia entry for the Whopper, adding a slew of troll-tastic descriptions including “cancer-causing,” “a chocolate candy” (in reference to the Hershey candy) and ingredients like “toenail clippings” and “rat.” Briefly, some users were able to get their Google Homes to respond with the edited entries (as did we, in a test yesterday). Wikipedia has now locked the entry, allowing changes to be made only by authorized administrators.

We’ve reached out to Google and Burger King for comment and will update if we hear back. For now, the mischief’s over, but maybe you still have the Whopper on your mind so perhaps the ad did its job after all. Google Home voice tags could not come soon enough."

http://www.theverge.com/2017/4/12/15277278/google-home-burger-king-whopper-ad-campaign

So not what I was thinking when you asked that.

I was thinking who is in charge of planning the meals.

Its an amusing story. I saw something else recently about how often voice recognition software makes mistakes. My son and daughter both have it switched off as they find it irritating. I'm sure though, that the software will continue to develop and become more sophisticated. Will it ever be in charge of our household food? If you asked me this 15 years ago I might have said 'perhaps'. But oddly, as technology becomes more sophisticated, so it seems that we (well, some of us in the Western world) crave to go back to source for ingredients and embrace the idea of locally grown etc rather than 'fast food'.

But of course, technology can assist us in sourcing locally grown food as much as it can with suggesting fast food outlets. And I'm sure it will.

It's not even the best selling one. But they(google) have a bigger impact on your house than any of the opposition.

From Smart appliances(which can track & order your food to smart meters) they have a share in it.

The "wired home", has become the "wireless home".

Its an amusing story. I saw something else recently about how often voice recognition software makes mistakes. My son and daughter both have it switched off as they find it irritating. I'm sure though, that the software will continue to develop and become more sophisticated. Will it ever be in charge of our household food? If you asked me this 15 years ago I might have said 'perhaps'. But oddly, as technology becomes more sophisticated, so it seems that we (well, some of us in the Western world) crave to go back to source for ingredients and embrace the idea of locally grown etc rather than 'fast food'.

But of course, technology can assist us in sourcing locally grown food as much as it can with suggesting fast food outlets. And I'm sure it will.
I use voice when I catalog cookbooks. Sometimes what I said and what Google hears are two totally different things. Do you need some nauseous nipples? I had said noshes, nibbles.

I use voice when I catalog cookbooks. Sometimes what I said and what Google hears are two totally different things. Do you need some nauseous nipples? I had said noshes, nibbles.
Google doesn't seem to understand me at all and Cortana gets confused. Must be our accents. I have finally managed to get Cortana to read out my messages rather than just ignore them and me, so something must be improving.

Back
Top Bottom