Wild garlic

Duck59

Guru
Local time
6:42 PM
Website
duckholiday.com
My local fruit and veg shop has been selling the most beautiful wild garlic for the past few weeks. I love garlic bulbs, but wild garlic is fantastic. You can steam it like spinach, use it as a salad base or even slip it into a sandwich. I've been known to chew the odd leaf on its own.

Picking by the bag wild at the moment , all sorts of uses, from croquettes to flavored oil , just flowering in the uk now
Do a search on the forum,

There's plenty of wild garlic ready to be picked in my area too. It's well worth doing, it rally is delicious. I've only ever used it in dishes as a substitute for shop-bought bulbs though so I'll be sure to search the forum for recipe inspiration.

I can' t say I have seen wild garlic around here. It has my attention for sure. I am wodering if perhaps it is called by another name. I will do some research and see where it takes me.

Unknown.jpg

looks like this ,quite often in shaded hard wood woodland

I can' t say I have seen wild garlic around here. It has my attention for sure. I am wodering if perhaps it is called by another name. I will do some research and see where it takes me.
Its a European and Asian plant, not an American one, though it will grow there if seeds are sown.
In the wild garlic pesto thread there is more information on it and its habitat.

It has a slight fragrance to it as well - you will be able to smell a slight garlic aroma once you stand near it.

View attachment 774
looks like this ,quite often in shaded hard wood woodland

Oh this is amazing. I was assuming you were talking about garlic bulbs at first. I guess I didn't even realize you could eat the leaves. I love garlic - roasted by itself, put into just about every recipe I can imagine... it doesn't matter. I love it.

I'm going to attempt growing my own garlic this year. Perhaps I'll think about getting it big enough to grow and utilize the greens as well. I can see this is something I"m going to have to further research.

My main thing was getting away from store-bought imported chinese garlic. It is so cheap and easy to grow, why wouldn't everyone have a little pot of it in the yard?

Oh this is amazing. I was assuming you were talking about garlic bulbs at first. I guess I didn't even realize you could eat the leaves. I love garlic - roasted by itself, put into just about every recipe I can imagine... it doesn't matter. I love it.

I'm going to attempt growing my own garlic this year. Perhaps I'll think about getting it big enough to grow and utilize the greens as well. I can see this is something I"m going to have to further research.

My main thing was getting away from store-bought imported chinese garlic. It is so cheap and easy to grow, why wouldn't everyone have a little pot of it in the yard?

i only use the leaves and flowers of the wild garlic,
growing garlic is great ,i buy my garlic from a farmers market and comes from the isle of wight .a small island off the south coast of England
here is their web site which gives recipes and growing tips
http://www.thegarlicfarm.co.uk

Back
Top Bottom