Wine Reduction

detroitdad

Legendary Member
Local time
11:21 AM
I have an opened bottle of homemade Pear wine at home. I already have chicken breasts thawed at home. I'm thinking of wrapping them in bacon, throwing them in the oven, and making a reduction out of the wine.

Suggestions? Keep it simple please.

I don't think I have any fresh herbs at outside of Cilantro.

Some things I'm thinking of putting in the reduction are diced onions and garlic? then whatever random seasonings that jump out at me.

Difficult as I don't know how the pear wine tastes. Is it sweet?

How about adding chopped bacon to the onion and garlic and sautée until the bacon has rendered its fat and the onions are softened - then add the wine and reduce. Perhaps a touch of a touch of cream at the end?

Difficult as I don't know how the pear wine tastes. Is it sweet?

How about adding chopped bacon to the onion and garlic and sautée until the bacon has rendered its fat and the onions are softened - then add the wine and reduce. Perhaps a touch of a touch of cream at the end?

Thanks.

I would put the wine at lightly sweet if that makes sense lol.

I have a Cajun dry rub that I made. I plan on applying that to the chicken prior to wrapping it in bacon. If the reduction is a touch sweet it "should" be a decent balance.

I have a Cajun dry rub that I made. I plan on applying that to the chicken prior to wrapping it in bacon. If the reduction is a touch sweet it "should" be a decent balance.
Sorry - for some reason I missed the fact you were wrapping the chicken in bacon! The slightly sweet would be good with that.

Minced onion and very mined garlic would certainly work. Do you have any mushrooms? Butter?

I agree that you should cut the bacon into lardons, render the fat in a large skillet, set bacon aside, fry the rubbed chicken in the bacon fat, set chicken aside.

Pour off most of the fat reserving some, sweat onions and garlic in pan, then add mushrooms or other veggies like leeks, fennel, etc., with reserved bacon fat and sweat a minute more, then add wine and herbs like thyme, sage, or savory, bring to a boil while scraping the fond off the bottom of the pan, lower heat to a simmer and reduce by a third. Add a hunk of butter to finish the sauce.

Plate chicken with some potatoes and pour wine reduction over top along with some crumbled bacon.

Last edited:
Pour off most of the fat reserving some, sweat onions and garlic in pan, then add mushrooms or other veggies like leeks, fennel, etc., with reserved bacon fat and sweat a minute more, then add wine and herbs like thyme, sage, or savory, bring to a boil while scraping the fond off the bottom of the pan, lower heat to a simmer and reduce by a third. Add a hunk of butter to finish the sauce.

Nice! I think you have been hiding your light under a bushel @buckytom. Maybe you should post more recipes and enter the challenges... :whistling:

Thanks. But that's just a basic pan sauce. Anyone can do that.

I love a shallot, dark mushroom, red wine, and butter pan reduction.

I usually think of that with a steak, but a spice rubbed chicken will work especially with a lighter wine and white mushrooms. Also, gentler veggies like leeks or fennel.

Back
Top Bottom