Winter Cooking Funk

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
10:20 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
I've found that my motivation to cook has taken a severe hit, and I think it probably always happens at around this time of year. I suspect it's a combination of the aftermath of holiday preparations and gatherings, combined with the colder weather and general lack of sunlight.

As a side note, I've gotten in the habit (prior to this) of freezing half of everything I make for later use. This means I have 2 weeks worth of meals in the freezer that I can defrost and enjoy without taking the time to make anything. I love this for what it gives me (more free time), but I think this is also demotivating me, since I know I don't have to cook if I want to eat. I just have to let something thaw.

This should be the time when I'm experimenting and exploring new things - I had a lot of time off between mid-December and the start of the year - but I'm finding that I don't feel inspired to do anything elaborate.

On the other hand, this has meant I've (finally!) decided to look into efficiency in my cooking. I've created things lately that didn't require a lot of effort, but I'm still satisfied with the results. That Ropa Vieja was really easy, and incredibly tasty. I consider this development to be a positive.

How are the rest of you this time of year?

I am totally motivated towards cooking right now. I am desperate to put some weight on. I need to get fatter and bulk out this month.

I've had hardly any exercise since early November, not worked outside much because the days are short - so I haven't eaten very much. I don't indulge in the almost orgiastic Xmas eating frenzy - and, just like with my friends and neighbours, my clothes are hanging off me.

I want to start cycling early this year - towards the end of this week, if possible. I need to eat - and I need to cook.

And I'm totally motivated towards getting fatter. Chocolate cake? roast potatoes? yes, please …

I am desperate to put some weight on. I need to get fatter and bulk out this month.
There aren't too many people I know who have this sort of problem, mate. :laugh: I do think that the fact that I ate too much (as @Karen W also suggested) is probably a bit part of why I'm less motivated at the moment.

But, it's interesting you say that. My Weight Watchers diet was actually too effective, and I've dropped down to a weight I haven't seen since my junior year in high school. This is far below my target weight, and I actually worried a little bit about that (even though I enjoyed buying smaller clothing that fit me properly). My first thought was to stop making healthy food and start frying more things. But, I'm concerned about the quality of the weight I'd put on. Ideally, it will be muscle weight, but that's a big challenge when you're north of 50.

So, instead, I've decided to just eat more of the things that I'm enjoying now. But, I'm also not afraid of chocolate cake, roast potatoes, fried foods, and things that I was avoiding when my weight plummeted.

Recently, on the News, I heard fat is in and sugar is out. The Keto fatty diet isn't exactly new, but celebs like Halle Berry Etc seemingly have jumped on the Keto bandwagon. She looks perfect to me. Think I'll stick with the big salad for a while, with some fish or chicken on the side.

Late Night, after the holiday days I lose the motivation to cook also. For me, I think it's because I cook so much and entertain over the holidays that I get burnt out. Also, the lack of farm fresh produce with all the farm stands closed for the winter adds to the lack of wanting to cook. Starting in November I prep meals on Sunday(s) for the week and make enough to freeze for a second meal. Tonight was one of those - pulled a fully cooked stuffed pork loin out of the freezer before work and popped it in the oven tonight. Made some mashed, previously put up sweet corn, and dinner was ready in 45 minutes.

Tonight was one of those - pulled a fully cooked stuffed pork loin out of the freezer before work and popped it in the oven tonight.

A good way to cope in the dark days of January. :okay:

Now...my freezer is full of things but sadly nothing previously prepared. I've got lots of fish and seafood which I keep intending to defrost.

Fish and seafood - yum! I will be defrosting and cooking Alaskan King salmon for Sunday dinner. We caught the salmon this past summer while visiting family in Alaska. Brought home 50 pounds for the freezer. I love fish- hubby not so much so he will be getting some type of beef

I've found that my motivation to cook has taken a severe hit, and I think it probably always happens at around this time of year. I suspect it's a combination of the aftermath of holiday preparations and gatherings, combined with the colder weather and general lack of sunlight.

As a side note, I've gotten in the habit (prior to this) of freezing half of everything I make for later use. This means I have 2 weeks worth of meals in the freezer that I can defrost and enjoy without taking the time to make anything. I love this for what it gives me (more free time), but I think this is also demotivating me, since I know I don't have to cook if I want to eat. I just have to let something thaw.

This should be the time when I'm experimenting and exploring new things - I had a lot of time off between mid-December and the start of the year - but I'm finding that I don't feel inspired to do anything elaborate.

On the other hand, this has meant I've (finally!) decided to look into efficiency in my cooking. I've created things lately that didn't require a lot of effort, but I'm still satisfied with the results. That Ropa Vieja was really easy, and incredibly tasty. I consider this development to be a positive.

How are the rest of you this time of year?
I feel exactly the same way. A combination of Christmas holiday excess, being busy with work and struggling to shake off a cold has seriously dented my enthusiasm for cooking. I need to get a grip!

I think the cold and dark saps enthusiasm for many things, I love being outside but at this time of year I want to stay in where it is warm, I like salads but only want stews etc....

Once the warm weather and sunshine reappear we will all regain our mojos :thumbsup:

I think the cold and dark saps enthusiasm for many things, I love being outside but at this time of year I want to stay in where it is warm, I like salads but only want stews etc....

Once the warm weather and sunshine reappear we will all regain our mojos :thumbsup:

I hate winter here with a vengeance, and thrive in summer. It's been so hot here, but cool and drizzly today. I'm enjoying the respite.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom