Wombat in the garden

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
2:20 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
Wombats..

Our wombat. Not the best photo but they usually only come out at night. He's just under a meter in length... He's noisy, eats grass and roots mainly and wants to get into my veg plot... (longer grass in there).
@Francesca for you. You were asking about them. My hubby had this thing for them but given he actually sleeps at night he rarely sees our resident one.

DSC_2512.JPG

@SatNavSaysStraightOn

Unfortunately, due to all the ecological disasters, many animals from the forests and rurals are lost and are seeking a food supply.

So, they head towards residential properties ..

This can be an enormous disaster for the animals and the people residing in these zones ..

Thank you for posting the photographs ..

I am concerned for your chicks ! When animals are hungry, they can attack anything regardless of their normal diets.

Are these Wombats carnivorous or vegetarians ?

Have a lovely day ..

I hope you don't find nutria cute.:ohmy:

No - butt ugly, a giant rat. Horrendous pest. Every now and then their numbers become overwhelming and the Wild Life and Fisheries will post a bounty.

YEARS ago there was a push to market the pelts for fur. I did see nutria fur coats. Stunning and very luxurious. Too bad that never took off.

Louisiana Black Bears will occasionally wander into a subdivision - following the river.

I think it's cute, and obviously well fed. I wouldn't dare show that pic to DD and GD, they'd be I want one. They'd both love to have a hedgehog, but certainly don't need anything else to care for with 2 dogs and 2 cats already.

It's kind of like our yard iggy we had at an old house, though she was somebody's pet at one time as she'd let you catch and hold her and eat from your hand. We pretty much kept her fed so she didn't wander too much as iguanas are considered invasive here. Sadly, one year we had some really cold weather. I saw her on the roof of the family room and was able to climb out our bedroom window, get her and bring her in at the start of the first cold snap, she was already real sluggish and slow moving. Set her up in the bathtub in an extra bathroom, with some heat. But, the next cold snap couldn't find her and never saw her again. Come to find out later in the year, she was on the other side of the neighbor's roof that we couldn't see from our 2nd story, actually was in a spot nobody on ground could see, and she froze up there. They needed some work on their roof and the workmen found what was left of her. Iggys were literally freezing and falling out of trees that year with all the cold weather.

@medtran49

On a cruise - we booked a driver for the day to tour Roatan, Honduras. One of our stops was an iguana sanctuary. WOW! They get HUGE!! It really was a site to see. Hundreds of Iguana - in trees on the ground, begging for treats, wanting to be scratched.

Some people can be such idiots - squealing when the Iguanas approached for food or attention. Seriously? If you do not want to be around giant lizards don't visit an Iguana sanctuary.

We also get lizards (and dragons) through the garden. Last year I had one resident in the herb plot which is now the potato bed. This year we had this one through the garden... It's a shingle back lizard. It was somewhere between 30-40 cm long and fully grown.
DSC_2201.JPG

We've also had several dragons in the garden. I managed to very photos of them last year but they are not on this device.

This year we've only had the 1 snake through the garden (chickens ate very good at letting you know about occasional visitors and anything unusual to their habitat), a brown snake one of Australia's most deadly. We had 2 visits last year. Talking with our neighbours we have been lucky. They have all seen far more and one neighbour has had the tiger snake as well. Both are known in this area, in town is harder to deal with them than here but there are far more sightings (reported on FB) in town than rurally.

It's the same with one of the most deadly spiders, the red back. They actually prefer the home than a rural setting and thrive in the city, not rurally so we've only had a couple of confirmed sightings, yet a friend had to have their home fumigated after hoardes of them came out of the air con system... Another city dweller we know has a trap door spider living in their (tiny) lawn. We also have a few of those but ours is a very small one with the tap door having a diameter of 1-2cm only. I expect there are more out there but we haven't found them yet. Not far from here (several km away) we know of a home with resident tarantulas...

Back
Top Bottom