Wonky Fruit and Vegetables

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
8:00 PM
Morrison's supermarket have recently started doing on-line deliveries so I've been trialling them. I'm very impressed by the 'wonky fruit and veg' offerings. These are items normally rejected by supermarkets because of size or shape. I think some other supermarkets are also doing this.

I've been ordering their 'wonky veg box' which is great value - £3.50 ( approx.$4.50) for all this:

20180905_121520.jpg

The carrots were massive!

20180905_121839.jpg

I also bought some wonky chillies - which (apart from one) don't strike me as wonky at all:

20180910_141516.jpg

Sounds like a good deal. Looks great. I want to see behind the sign and see all the veggies :) I also have my groceries delivered and shop online. The Asian markets here have reduced prices on their fruits and vegetables for the reasons that you mentioned - rejected by the large supermarkets for size and uniformity. Do I see a stir-fry or vegetable potsticker soup in your future?

Last edited:
Sounds like a good deal. Looks great. I want to see behind the sign and see all the veggies :) I also have my groceries delivered and shop online. The Asian markets here have reduced prices on their fruits and vegetables for the reasons that you mentioned - rejected by the large supermarkets for size and uniformity. Do I see a stir-fry or vegetable potsticker soup in your future?

Well they are all gone now - this was last week. And I did make a vegetable stew with some beans added and also used the cabbage in a stir fry.

We have our growing season coming up. It is a shame that vegetables that look like that end up on the compost heap. The Redland is a large farming area in the county I was born in. After the distribution of daily harvests, the wonky looking stuff is free for the taking, but none of the soup kitchens are willing to drive down to pick it up, yet they all beg for money. I found this out from a friend that lives in the Redland and takes advantage of the offer to feed the tortoises he breeds.

We have our growing season coming up. It is a shame that vegetables that look like that end up on the compost heap. The Redland is a large farming area in the county I was born in. After the distribution of daily harvests, the wonky looking stuff is free for the taking, but none of the soup kitchens are willing to drive down to pick it up, yet they all beg for money. I found this out from a friend that lives in the Redland and takes advantage of the offer to feed the tortoises he breeds.

Sometimes time is worth more than money. Perhaps they have not enough hand to come pick or can't afford a lawsuit if someone should get hurt while picking. The farmers round here when i was a kid would let you come into the fields after harvest and pick whatever was missed but after a couple of lawsuits it now is just left for pig food.

Sometimes time is worth more than money. Perhaps they have not enough hand to come pick or can't afford a lawsuit if someone should get hurt while picking. The farmers round here when i was a kid would let you come into the fields after harvest and pick whatever was missed but after a couple of lawsuits it now is just left for pig food.

There is something called insurance and workmen's comp.:okay: Even non-profits must provide coverage for their workers. BTW, the produce has already been picked by migrant farm workers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom