Worcestershire Sauce

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
6:05 PM
One of the (possibly few) British sauces which are known around the world.
Worcestershire sauce is perhaps the Worcester's most famous product. It was first produced in Worcester by two chemists, John Wheeley Lea and William Perrins, and went on sale in 1837. It is still produced in the city today, although the origin of the recipe remains a mystery. The story goes that Lord Sandys, a local aristocrat who had been Governor of Bengal, visited the chemist shop asking for a recipe he had found in India to be made up. Lea and Perrins made an extra jar for themselves, but found they did not like the concoction and stored it in the cellar. Some time later they retasted the preparation to discover it was delicious.

Although today the ingredients are listed the exact recipe has never been revealed and remains a closely guarded secret.*

Do you use Worcestershire Sauce? Tell us how you use it in your cooking.

*http://www.bbc.co.uk/ahistoryoftheworld/objects/mcraSW4BRJyBTtOMbcb6Tw

One of the (possibly few) British sauces which are known around the world.

Do you use Worcestershire Sauce? Tell us how you use it in your cooking.

*http://www.bbc.co.uk/ahistoryoftheworld/objects/mcraSW4BRJyBTtOMbcb6Tw
That's basically the story that was on to. How do they do it. Amazing how they discovered it. My friend in Texas hates it, he calls it worst ever sauce,lol. I buy it in 5 litre containers. About 2 to 3 a year. I'm just doing 8 lamb shanks ATM, there's about 150 ml in that. Also use in stews casseroles sausy rolls. I love it. A friend made some from a recipe, it was nice but a lot of work. A 5 litre here is about $15. Cheap as chips.

Russ

image.jpeg

We like to make BBQ shrimp with it (no grill or BBQ involved, stovetop only) and much prefer it made with the homemade sauce above. It's good with commercial brands, but great with the homemade. Tiny buttermilk biscuits go with to sop up the sauce.

Lea & Perrins is one of the few sauces where we stick with the brand. I quite often use a splash of L&P in any meat-based sauce: the anchovies in it add a real umami depth of flavour.

Its also an essential ingredient of Welsh Rarebit, and even just simple cheese on toast benefits from a sprinking on top. Its also great to add a bit of pep to tomato juice - either with just L&P, or the full works to make a Virgin Mary.

Shhh...don't tell @rascal - he hates anchovies! But its true that its the main reason its such a special sauce - its because the anchovies are fermented.
Tastes very different from anchovies in oil or salt. And very different from the taste of fresh anchovies.

I used to use it a lot and not sure why I don't use it now. I've just checked and it is gluten free.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom