Would you eat eggs on Weetabix?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
7:15 PM
The makers of Weetabix have sent Twitter into a meltdown thanks to a bizarre serving suggestion on the back of a cereal box. The company advised customers to try putting poached eggs and sliced ham on top of their dried Weetabix. It’s supposedly a bit like Eggs Benedict. Would you try it?

C10DwtBXEAAxtJr.jpg

Jenny Colgan tweeted:
WHAT?????
1:40 PM - 10 Jan 201
290290 Retweet, 337337 likes

In response to Colgan’s tweet, the social media manager for Weetabix wrote: “Well, you could say we got a ‘little’ enthusiastic at that brainstorm (seemed like a good idea at the time).

“We hope we can put this behind us and still make breakfast work, perhaps with something more traditional like milk and fruit.”
Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...868dd?ir=UK+Lifestyle&utm_hp_ref=uk-lifestyle

I like Weetabix but i want them soaked in milk. otherwise they taste like sawdust! Eggs benny is a fab dish and i have a cafe near hear which does it really well. They use sourdough bread as the base. Thats yummy.

Since we don't have weetabix here and shredded wheat is too fat or too small (depending on the size) to put an egg on I would say no. Besides it just sounds wrong.

Since we don't have weetabix here and shredded wheat is too fat or too small (depending on the size) to put an egg on I would say no. Besides it just sounds wrong.
Don't you have something like Weetabix? I'm surprised. I quite like them. They start of crisp and go mushy in the milk. The trick as far as I'm concerned is to catch them on the turn and get the best of both.

Don't you have something like Weetabix? I'm surprised. I quite like them. They start of crisp and go mushy in the milk. The trick as far as I'm concerned is to catch them on the turn and get the best of both.
They look similar to our shredded wheat but I think they only make spoon size now not the bigger ones you had to break up to eat.

I would definitely try it. It might not be repeated though as I expect that the weetabix would crumble too much.

I have stopped eating Weetabix and shredded wheat because my gut cannot cope with a so much wheat in 1 hit, I bloat, get stomach cramps and feel sick, I am not wheat intolerant just can't eat too much in 1 go.

Ditch the ham, and switch the hollandaise sauce for say senap or wholegrain mustard and yes I would try them or the Aussie equivalent, Weet-bix. Weet-bix actually came first... I'm not sure what the difference is. I'll look the ingredients up of both when I officially get up later this morning...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weet-Bix

Ditch the ham, and switch the hollandaise sauce for say senap or wholegrain mustard and yes I would try them or the Aussie equivalent, Weet-bix. Weet-bix actually came first... I'm not sure what the difference is. I'll look the ingredients up of both when I officially get up later this morning...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weet-Bix
I think its much the same. Marginal differences. Whats the problem with Hollandaise. Couldn't it be made with margarine?

Whats the problem with Hollandaise. Couldn't it be made with margarine?
Don't really like it!

Ingredients in Weet-bix
Wholegrain wheat (97%), raw sugar, salt, barley malt extract, vitamins (niacin, thiamin, riboflavin, folate), mineral (iron).

Ingredients in Weetabix
Wholegrain Wheat (95%), Malted Barley Extract, Sugar, Salt, Niacin, Iron, Riboflavin (B2), Thiamin (B1), Folic Acid.

Looks like it is just different concentrations going by the order of things. plus less sugar and salt in the original version (Australian). aussie one had less calories per serving.
Not sure on exact nutritional info. got this from the 2 companies' websites though. it's just comparing it that is more interesting.

Weet-bix
Screenshot_20170114-104225.png

Weetabix
Screenshot_20170114-103658.png

Last edited:
Just before I left the UK. I have made it dairy free. didn't like it. bland.
In some ways its similar to mayo - an emulsion from egg yolk and fat. The taste comes from adding lemon juice and/or a a favoured vinegar and a little salt.You can add cayenne pepper too although I don't think thats authentic. But of course its not meant to pack a punch - its a luxurious creamy sauce which sets off the taste of other things such as asparagus without taking over.

Back
Top Bottom