Would you go vegetarian? Are you vegetarian?

I shall always remember the saying "My ancestors didn't fight their way to the top of the food chain to eat grass".

At a school fair many years ago in UK when I was a member of the PTA I had arranged a very serious hot plate (25 mm thick) heated by two very serious gas burners. We went for beef burgers and bacon/bacon and egg sarnies. After two hours we had to buy more bacon from our village butcher; and after three hours he'd ran out and we had to despatch runners to the surrounding villages!

I shall always remember the saying "My ancestors didn't fight their way to the top of the food chain to eat grass".

At a school fair many years ago in UK when I was a member of the PTA I had arranged a very serious hot plate (25 mm thick) heated by two very serious gas burners. We went for beef burgers and bacon/bacon and egg sarnies. After two hours we had to buy more bacon from our village butcher; and after three hours he'd ran out and we had to despatch runners to the surrounding villages!

Its all about the smell, I think...
I've got some Quorn 'bacon' in the freezer. I've yet to test it out but I don't have high hopes of the frying smell being authentic!

Its all about the smell, I think...
I've got some Quorn 'bacon' in the freezer. I've yet to test it out but I don't have high hopes of the frying smell being authentic!

I lived and worked in Kuala Lumpur for almost 5 years (but don't tell the tax man). If you've ever eaten beef bacon, turkey ham and chicken sausage maybe the transition to vegetarianism is not such a giant leap.

I've been veggie for over 33yrs now. I don't regret it. I have been veggie-cow's dairy for the best part of 23 years and veggan for around 7-8 years. I don't regret it, it can be touch at times but it is a lot easier than it used to be. Ironically it was the USA that I was dreading the most with our travels and my food issues - but we never got there!

Just curious as to why you were dreading the USA.
We do have fresh produce in every store.
However, you do have to be selective. Sometimes it is good and sometimes it isn't.
Or is it that at least 80% seems to be processed?
Although I can certainly understand not wanting to go to a typical southern luncheon.

I think perhaps its the reputation that USA has (here in UK) that its all about meat (steaks, burgers). In fact, it depends where you go in the US, I think. Not only which state but which part of each state and which restaurants! I have only been to the USA once and that was to Boston. Excellent food was eaten and there were vegetarian options.

Perhaps it was to do with the planned cycle touring route? @SatNavSaysStraightOn will have to enlighten us.

I think perhaps its the reputation that USA has (here in UK) that its all about meat (steaks, burgers). In fact, it depends where you go in the US, I think. Not only which state but which part of each state and which restaurants! I have only been to the USA once and that was to Boston. Excellent food was eaten and there were vegetarian options.

Perhaps it was to do with the planned cycle touring route? @SatNavSaysStraightOn will have to enlighten us.
Correct. the rope was to start in the very far north, as far as you can in Alaska, down through the west coast of Canada, Western side of USA but not coastal, there a cycle route that we had planned to take, then down through Mexico, and fly across one part because of obvious issues, before south America. but my memory fails me on the route now, it was all very rough and something you only sketch out and don't stick to. but I think it was a lot to do with reputation and reading other peoples journals that left us worrying about it, especially my dairy related issues!

I enjoy vegetarian food but I also enjoy meat. ( bacon!!) I would be prepared to eat less meat but not stop eating it. I also think that animal welfare is important.

When I say that I enjoy vegetarian food, I don't mean the stuff that's trying to imitate meat. That is pointless and ridiculous.

No to both questions. I still eat meat once or twice a week and couldn't go without dairy. I'd starve As you are all by now aware, my main allergy is seafood, but I'm also allergic or intolerant to some fruit and vegetables, and most of my medications interact with some fruit and/or vegetables. That's apart from other fruit and veg I've been advised to eat or not to eat because of medical problems. In fact eating (for me) can be quite a problem as far as my"advice" list is concerned, I've carried on eating those foods unless I am allergic to them or unless they really upset me in some way. The only things that I have cut out wherever possible are non-decaf tea and coffee. I'd cut them out altogether if I could but it can be difficult when eating out. They affect my throat and I do notice it even after just one cup.

... If you've ever eaten beef bacon, turkey ham and chicken sausage maybe the transition to vegetarianism is not such a giant leap.

I've had bison bacon before. It wasn't bad, but it shouldn't be called bacon. Maybe "fatty strips of over-seasoned bison scraps", but not bacon.

I've also had chicken sausage. It was "sweet Italian" style, which means it was flavored with basil, parsley, and fennel seed. Also not bad when served charcoal grilled on a bun with sautéed onions and peppers and a sprinkle of grated parmigiano reggiano.cheese.

I hope my wife never finds out about turkey ham. She loves her turkey kielbasa.

I'm a meat and cheese/milk lover. The key is to eat these foods in moderation and consider eating plenty of white and lean meats besides having red meat.

Just curious as to why you were dreading the USA.
We do have fresh produce in every store.
However, you do have to be selective. Sometimes it is good and sometimes it isn't.
Or is it that at least 80% seems to be processed?
Although I can certainly understand not wanting to go to a typical southern luncheon.

This reminds me of a trip through southwestern Illinois and Iowa many years ago while visiting an ex-girlfriend's family's farms. After 4 or 5 days of eating everything fried or swimming in gravy, I saw a "veggie platter" on one of the menus one night. I jumped at the chance to eat something with a bit of natural crunch and maybe some fiber in it.
They brought out a plate of battered and deep fried cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, and asparagus.

I couldn't wait to get home and have a salad.

What I don't understand it why do some vegetarians seek foods that simulate meat products like veggie burgers, bacon, wieners, etc...if they are opposed to these things, why try and copy them? They should be appalled at the mere suggestion, no?

Also, I am thinking of creating a line of foods for meat lovers who don't get enough veggies in their diet..simulated vegetables comprised of meat. Like chicken formed into the shape of carrots, or beef made to look like beets, etc....I think it would be a weener, or winner...:p

I eat most things, including meat & fish, but I've found that I've just naturally & gradually reduced the amount of meat that I eat. I no longer eat lots of fatty or processed meat, though a burger or bacon butty is nice now & again
And I don't eat kidneys, liver or other offal; not on any principle, I just don't like it - there is nothing you can do to liver to stop it being liver

At the moment I'm trying to lose weight and have been eating a lot of vegetarian salads & stir - fries, and don't miss the meat

If you are a vegan you need to be aware of some nutrients that may be missing from your diet. I think vitamin B12 is one, but I can't be bothered to look up all the precise nutrition

What does annoy me though is the self - righteous whingeing from vegetarians if you so much as have a cup of Bovril within 20 feet of them

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom