Would you go vegetarian? Are you vegetarian?

why do some vegetarians seek foods that simulate meat products like veggie burgers
I think that the name veggie burger is the issue here - in fact, vegetarians have been making 'patties' for hundreds of years. Its an obvious thing to do to form something into a 'cake' or burger shape and fry it. Its just using the word burger which is a little strange, perhaps.

I eat most things, including meat & fish, but I've found that I've just naturally & gradually reduced the amount of meat that I eat. I no longer eat lots of fatty or processed meat, though a burger or bacon butty is nice now & again
And I don't eat kidneys, liver or other offal; not on any principle, I just don't like it - there is nothing you can do to liver to stop it being liver

At the moment I'm trying to lose weight and have been eating a lot of vegetarian salads & stir - fries, and don't miss the meat

If you are a vegan you need to be aware of some nutrients that may be missing from your diet. I think vitamin B12 is one, but I can't be bothered to look up all the precise nutrition

What does annoy me though is the self - righteous whingeing from vegetarians if you so much as have a cup of Bovril within 20 feet of them

I have found the same that eating meat has naturally reduced over the last few years. We eat meat only a few times a week and fish at least once. I love Asian food an make stir fry quite often although I do put meat or poultry in them sometimes. The amount used in a stir fry is much less than if the meat was the main thing on the plate.

We try to eat a vegetarian meal at least twice a week, although one of those is often a veggie pizza and salad.

But like jennyb, I've been eating more veggies by making a stir fry. For a dedicated carnivore like me, it is surprisingly tasty and filling. I have to admit that I feel better heading into work at night after a meal of veggies rather than something fatty and heavy.

A favorite stir fry that I've been making often is a yakisoba noodle dish with various mushrooms (usually enoki, crimini, baby king oyster, and shiitake), carrots, celery, onions, bok choy, mung bean sprouts, snow peas, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, fish sauce, and tofu.

Here's a recent attempt in the making, before the bean sprouts and enoki are added, otherwise they get lost.
1011161741a.jpg

Last edited:
We try to eat a vegetarian meal at least twice a week, although one of those is often a veggie pizza and salad.

But like jennyb, I've been eating more veggies by making a stir fry. For a dedicated carnivore like me, it is surprisingly tasty and filling. I have to admit that I feel better heading into work at night after a meal of veggies rather than something fatty and heavy.

A favorite stir fry that I've been making often is a yakisoba noodle dish with various mushrooms (usually enoki, crimini, baby king oyster, and shiitake), carrots, celery, onions, mung bean sprouts, snow peas, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, fish sauce, and tofu.

Here's a recent attempt in the making, before the bean sprouts and enoki are added, otherwise they get lost.View attachment 5818
I like the look of that.:hungry:

A favorite stir fry that I've been making often is a yakisoba noodle dish with various mushrooms (usually enoki, crimini, baby king oyster, and shiitake), carrots, celery, onions, bok choy, mung bean sprouts, snow peas, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, fish sauce, and tofu.

Here's a recent attempt in the making, before the bean sprouts and enoki are added, otherwise they get lost.View attachment 5818

Great stuff! Is that tofu I spy? :D

Why yes, it is!
I abhor tofu, except in this dish.

I've learned to cook aromatics first in the oil (garlic, ginger, spices, etc.), then fry the tofu in that and set it all aside while doing the rest.

It gives the tofu something to think about rather than being a substitute for chunky baby vomit... :wink:

Tofu done correctly need not be nasty.
I know I used to hate it. And I mean hate.
Over the years I found it worked in one or two dishes. Then I started to eat it when out in some restaurants. Mostly out of a lack of choice but it worked because the cultures that the restaurants belonged to had been using it for thousands of years. So I started to experiment more with it. And suddenly it opened a new door into my cooking.

Now it is an unusual day if you open my fridge and find no tofu in it. Right now, I think there are 5 packets or containers of tofu in my fridge. An open extra firm tofu, two unopened firm tofu packets, and 2 batches of fresh home-made tofu which is totally different and really creamy send nice. It isn't silken tofu, it's certainly not firm tofu. It's very soft right now with one batch having been made today. But if I was to serve the homemade tofu to you tight now, you wouldn't know it was different from creamed cheese. It is identical in both taste and texture and I can now see how tofu can be used to make things creamy both easily and successfully. Previously I couldn't!

I'd like to learn how to make tofu interesting. I have put it in stir fry but to me it seems really bland so I'd like to know the secret of making it taste good.

I'd like to learn how to make tofu interesting. I have put it in stir fry but to me it seems really bland so I'd like to know the secret of making it taste good.
I could see that adding ingredients to it whilst making it would help - though it does limit its use. I'm still working on the finer details. I need ot find somewhere selling soya beans. I was meant to have got some this last Wednesday but life had other plans for me yet again and it didn't happen sadly.

Back
Top Bottom