Would you go vegetarian?

BBFoodThoughts

Local time
6:11 PM
Mod Edit: Posts moved from an old thread to start new thread

I am trying. Letting go of meat was easy, however, now I am trying to reduce the cheese and dairy in my diet. This has been really hard considering I spend a great deal of time making soups. I also have been trying to find a good ice cream substitute for me. I admit I am not hard core vegetarian. My husband is a beef eater but when the option is available I will more often than not take it.

Last edited by a moderator:
My daughters partner was a vegetarian but ate chicken. Wtf. I got sick of doing special meals just for 1.
About 5 years ago, I got a request for lamb from the vege. The vege is now a full meat eater.

Russ

I would eat vegetarian meals more often, probably 2 or 3 times a week, maybe more, but that wouldn't go over well with Craig. It seems like the older I get the more my tastes skew to vegetables.

We did go on a dedicated Mediterranean diet for several months, which does use animal protein but in smaller quantities, with more of an emphasis on grains and veges. When we went off it because of the time involved cooking meals, it was pretty hard to adjust back to our former diet. Our tummies were NOT happy with us for a while.

Last edited:
I make samosas, real yummy, both vegetarian and also beef samosas. My dinner guests get choices,lol.
I love mushroom sabji curries, and aloo gobi all vegetarian.

Russ

I eat a lot more vegetables than one might think of a "Meat and Potatoes" person. However, I would never give up meat and seafood. The only vegetables I have tried that I don't like are lima beans and kale.

I am trying. Letting go of meat was easy, however, now I am trying to reduce the cheese and dairy in my diet. This has been really hard considering I spend a great deal of time making soups. I also have been trying to find a good ice cream substitute for me. I admit I am not hard core vegetarian. My husband is a beef eater but when the option is available I will more often than not take it.

I think you might be confusing vegetarian with vegan. Vegetarians generally do eat dairy products and eggs. They don't eat the flesh of animals.Vegans don't eat anything which is from an animal at all - so no meat, fish, dairy or eggs and many vegans don't eat honey.

I find it much easier to be vegetarian and cook vegetarian food than vegan - there is no vegan cheese substitute which tastes anything like a strong cheddar or blue cheese and I love eggs! But generally I'll happily eat vegetarian food and indeed I was vegetarian as a teenager and in my early twenties. My daughter and son who lived at home until very recently were respectively vegetarian and vegan so I cooked vegan food most days.

Nowadays I don't eat meat or fish very often and consider it a treat.

Last edited:
Why is that so problematic? Lots of soups don't include cheese or dairy.
It's been difficult for me to find them without dairy, meat and cheese. At least at my grocery store. I find it easier to make my own soups that way I can ensure what is going into them. :) Tonight I am trying vegetable and barley.

I met a guy that was vegan and had been for 30 years but needed to back off to just be vegetarian instead for he had developed and allergy to legumes and was having a hard time getting all the needed protein he needed. He was kinda scared cause once you haven't had animal or or dairy protein for years your body just can't process them well right off the bat. So its kinda an opposite problem.

Back
Top Bottom