Recipe Xacuti

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
2:23 PM
I first came across Xacuti in the CookingBites Alphabet game - which goes to show that despite its apparent simplicity the game is really quite educational! After looking at various recipes and experimenting a bit I settled on this recipe which is adapted from a recipe by Maunika Gowardhan*. You could make it vegan by using mushrooms and tofu in place of chicken. Or for a vegetarian version make an egg Xacacti using hard-boiled eggs. I must try that.

I made this super hot by using 3 kinds of chillies. You can tone it down by omitting the Kashmiri chilli powder and reducing the whole dried chillies.

*http://maunikagowardhan.co.uk/cook-...n-spiced-chicken-curry-with-star-anise-nutmeg

fullsizeoutput_400b.jpeg

Ingredients (serves 2)
  • 350g chicken breast
  • 1 tbsp grated fresh turmeric (or 1 tsp turmeric powder)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 3 cloves of garlic
  • 1 medium onion (chopped)
  • 1 tbsp unsweetened desiccated coconut
  • 1 tsp each of coriander seeds, black peppercorns, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, white poppy seeds
  • 3 cloves
  • 1 star anise
  • 2 small cinnamon sticks, broken into pieces
  • 1 Indian bay leaf, torn into pieces
  • 5 small dried Kashmiri chillies
  • 1 tsp kashmiri chilli powder
  • 3 birds-eye chillies
  • 2 tbsp tomato purée
To finish
  • A few curry leaves
  • Nutmeg
  • 2 tsp tamarind paste
Method
  1. Cut the chicken into large bite sized pieces. Place in a bowl and add the turmeric and salt, turning to cover the chicken. Cover and leave to marinate for a few hours or over night.
  2. Place the coconut in a dry non-stick pan over a medium heat and cook until light golden brown. Set aside in a bowl.
  3. Add all the whole dried spices including the dried chillies to the pan and dry roast for a few minutes until they release their aroma. Be careful not to burn.
  4. Place the roasted spices and coconut in a spice grinder and grind to a fine powder.
  5. Add the oil to a pan and cook the onions until softened.
  6. Add the garlic, either grated or crushed and finely chopped, and cook for a further few minutes.
  7. Add the ground spices (including the chilli powder) and approximately 200ml of water to the pan.
  8. Mix well and simmer for 5 minutes. At this point you can blend the mixture to a smooth sauce (optional). I used a stick blender. Stir in the tomato purée.
  9. Pierce the birds-eye chillies with a sharp knife.
  10. Add the chicken to the sauce together with the whole birds-eye chilies. Simmer gently for 20- 25 mins until the chicken is cooked through.
  11. 10 minutes before the end of cooking add a small handful of curry leaves, a generous grating of nutmeg and the tamarind paste. Add salt to taste.
  12. Serve with rice.

The spices: clockwise from the top - fresh turmeric root; in the spoon (clockwise) fennel seeds, cinnamon sticks; black peppercorns; star anise, coriander seeds, cloves, dried Kashmiri chillies, cumin seeds; Tamarind paste; toasted desiccated coconut; Kashmiri chilli powder; Bird's eye chillies; nutmeg; garlic; white poppy seeds.

fullsizeoutput_3fdd.jpeg

Curry leaves; Indian bay leaf; onion.

fullsizeoutput_3fe1.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_400e.jpeg

Last edited:
I first came across Xacuti in the CookingBites Alphabet game - which goes to show that despite its apparent simplicity the game is really quite educational! After looking at various recipes and experimenting a bit I settled on this recipe which is adapted from a recipe by Maunika Gowardhan*. You could make it vegan by using mushrooms and tofu in place of chicken. Or for a vegetarian version make an egg Xacacti using hard-boiled eggs. I must try that.

I made this super hot by using 3 kinds of chillies. You can tone it down by omitting the Kashmiri chilli powder and reducing the whole dried chillies.

*http://maunikagowardhan.co.uk/cook-...n-spiced-chicken-curry-with-star-anise-nutmeg

View attachment 23140

Ingredients (serves 2)
  • 350g chicken breast
  • 1 tbsp grated fresh turmeric (or 1 tsp turmeric powder)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 3 cloves of garlic
  • 1 medium onion (chopped)
  • 1 tbsp unsweetened desiccated coconut
  • 1 tsp each of coriander seeds, black peppercorns, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, white poppy seeds
  • 3 cloves
  • 1 star anise
  • 2 small cinnamon sticks, broken into pieces
  • 1 Indian bay leaf, torn into pieces
  • 5 small dried Kashmiri chillies
  • 1 tsp kashmiri chilli powder
  • 3 birds-eye chillies
  • 2 tbsp tomato purée
To finish
  • A few curry leaves
  • Nutmeg
  • 2 tsp tamarind paste
Method
  1. Cut the chicken into large bight sized pieces. Place in a bowl and add the turmeric and salt, turning to cover the chicken. Cover and leave to marinate for a few hours or over night.
  2. Place the coconut in a dry non-stick pan over a medium heat and cook until light golden brown. Set aside in a bowl.
  3. Add all the whole dried spices including the dried chillies to the pan and dry roast for a few minutes until they release their aroma. Be careful not to burn.
  4. Place the roasted spices and coconut in a spice grinder and grind to a fine powder.
  5. Add the oil to a pan and cook the onions until softened.
  6. Add the garlic, either grated or crushed and finely chopped, and cook for a further few minutes.
  7. Add the ground spices (including the chilli powder) and approximately 200ml of water to the pan.
  8. Mix well and simmer for 5 minutes. At this point you can blend the mixture to a smooth sauce (optional). I used a stick blender. Stir in the tomato purée.
  9. Pierce the birds-eye chillies with a sharp knife.
  10. Add the chicken to the sauce together with the whole birds-eye chilies. Simmer gently for 20- 25 mins until the chicken is cooked through.
  11. 10 minutes before the end of cooking add a small handful of curry leaves, a generous grating of nutmeg and the tamarind paste. Add salt to taste.
  12. Serve with rice.

The spices: clockwise from the top - fresh turmeric root; in the spoon (clockwise) fennel seeds, cinnamon sticks; black peppercorns; star anise, coriander seeds, cloves, dried Kashmiri chillies, cumin seeds; Tamarind paste; toasted desiccated coconut; Kashmiri chilli powder; Bird's eye chillies; nutmeg; garlic; white poppy seeds.

View attachment 23141

Curry leaves; Indian bay leaf; onion.

View attachment 23135

View attachment 23142

That looks amazing.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom