Recipe Xni Pec Salsa

My interpretation of your excellent recipe. After some back-and-forth, I decided some time ago that a salsa was a pico de gallo that's been cooked.

I've never considered cooking salsa.

salsa-crisps-s.jpg

Yum, this looks good, and searingly hot.

It's very difficult to find sour oranges here. I might get lucky and find them in a Korean market once in a while or maybe like a Whole Foods.

Yes, I saw that. My wife takes meds that contraindicate with grapefruit, so I rarely have it around.

Xni Pec (shnee pek) means "dog's nose" in the Nahuatl language (Na Wa Tel) spoken by the Aztecs. This is an extremely spicy salsa!:pepper:

Ingredients
2 to 8 Habañero peppers or Scotch bonnet chiles, finely chopped
1 large ripe tomato, cut into 1⁄4-inch dice (with its juices)
1/2 cup finely chopped white onion
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
3 fresh sour orange juice, or 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice plus 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice, or more to taste
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions
1) Combine the Habañero peppers, tomato, onion, cilantro, sour orange juice, and salt in a serving bowl. Toss to mix.
2) Taste for seasoning, adding more sour orange juice as necessary.
3) Allow time for ingredients to meld.

Best served within 3 hrs
wow, I have learned from you for how to show my recipes. Yours is so simple and clear. Thanks. I did not eat the Habanero peppers, but I know about it from google, that is very hot. If I can buy the Habanero peppers some day , I could distinguish between it and chinese top spicy chilies.

Last edited by a moderator:
@The Late Night Gourmet, next time try Carolina Reapers!:pepper:

We do not have habañeros available here nor anything similar. I use cayennes (for taste) and Thai hot or bird's eye (for heat). I include lime juice with a few dashes of red wine vinegar which makes it very bitter.

Although I have a container of frozen salsa in the freezer, a friend gave me some tomatoes from his garden yesterday so I may make another tomorrow.

tomatoes s.jpg

We do not have habañeros available here nor anything similar. I use cayennes (for taste) and Thai hot or bird's eye (for heat). I include lime juice with a few dashes of red wine vinegar which makes it very bitter.

Although I have a container of frozen salsa in the freezer, a friend gave me some tomatoes from his garden yesterday so I may make another tomorrow.

I did.

Back
Top Bottom