Yellow Pan?

smlewis00

Veteran
Local time
11:33 AM
Recently, I have noticed my pizza pan turning a weird yellow color. My husband thinks it is because we moved and the water here contains more iron, but I don't know if that is the cause.
What do you suggest I use to clean the yellow from these pans? Is there a way to prevent them from yellowing? Do you think it is due to the harder water than I am used to?

Yellowing pans is either a consequence of inappropriate use, cleaning or stains (water/food). For this type of discoloration, I use Bar Keeper's Friend or soak the cookware in a mix of warm water and denture tablets (2). If these solutions don't work, then normally I just replace the item.

41grZo-olSL._SY300_.jpg

I think it is normal for them to get a yellow-ish cast over time. Usually on my pans it is caused by grease and/or cooking sprays that have "baked" on to the pan during the cooking times. If you go into any high volume pizza shop, you will see all the pans have this on them, ranging from yellow to a dark brown stain on all their pizza pans. Generally that means the pan is more or less "seasoned" as well. May not look pretty, but the pan should still work just fine if not better than when it was brand new.

I've heard of some people suggesting that a paste made of baking soda and hydrogen peroxide will eat through a lot of that though if you are looking to remove it. The said to mix the two ingredients then spread it on the pan and let it rest for a while so it can do its work, then wipe it clean.

Back
Top Bottom