Your best picnic food

One of my favorite "comfort foods" is my Mother's Meat Pie.

My dear old mum, bless her, used to make a beef and potato pie in a large earthenware bowl. If I remember correctly it included gravy, onions, carrots and sometimes kidley. The main attribute was that it had no pastry sides or bottom - just a pastry lid.

Your Mother's Meat Pie sounds like the ultimate comfort food - I like American 'biscuit' toppings. We don't have them here really. But if you want to make a classic British comfort food then streak and kidney pudding might be a good one. That is, if you like kidney's and you don't mind the idea of using suet. :happy:

Isn't the biscuit topping like our 'cobbler'. My mum used to do versions of leftover pie with either mashed or sliced potato (leftover beef or lamb - so cottage pie/shepherds pie), pastry (beef or chicken or pork), savoury crumble (the pork was minced and any leftover apple sauce spread on top before the crumble added) or cobbler topping (any meat). Non pie versions were good old bubble and squeak or creamy chicken pancakes.

I used to love Sunday roast and the food the next day. Unless it was cold lamb!

US Biscuits are savory - puffy, flaky, a little salty. I really do not know how to describe it or compare it to a UK version.

:scratchhead:

We had a great picnic yesterday. The weather could not have been better and we we went to Alice Holt park. As it was rather hot the forest trees were a blessing. Hubby, daughter and grandson. So I expect you are wondering what I made in the end. Here we go:
Home made quiche with cheese and ham, a black bean salad a bit similar to the one @ElizabethB posted except I also added diced cucumber and spring onion, a potato salad with red onion, a French stick loaf, brie and shop bought pate. For dessert there was fresh fruit - a mix of melon, strawberries and kiwi fruit and a fruitcake. The fruitcake didn't really get a look in!

Oh - an I noticed @epicuric suggested Dairylea triangles. I remember having them too so I brought a box to take with us too. The grandson preferred having Dairylea to brie. I don't think he had ever had them before.

Thank you all for the great suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom