Your favourite frying pan

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
11:00 AM
What is your favourite pan for frying? Do you use non-stick, ceramic, copper stone, granite stone or cast iron? Tell us about your best frying pan and provide photos if possible. My current favourite is a Jamie Oliver non-stick. Not the cheapest but its brilliant. It features in lots of my photos...

IMGP1442.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jamie-Oliv...-1&keywords=jamie+oliver+non+stick+frying+pan

Last edited:
Good thread! I don't have a favorite. I use a few...Each one has its own specific characteristics and is used for different things. I'll post some pics and give some description as soon as I get the time..

Good thread! I don't have a favorite. I use a few...Each one has its own specific characteristics and is used for different things. I'll post some pics and give some description as soon as I get the time..

Please do! My friend (who I stay with and cook for frequently) has a cast iron pan which I quite like to use. But it isn't as non-stick as the non-stick pan I normally use. It is seasoned - but there are limits to non-stickability in cast iron pans I think. OTOH it could be my ignorance in these matters.

I use a stainless steel skillet with a copper bottom. I am adjusting to a "new" one. Hubby stole his old one for the camper. Note: The old one was warped and the rubber handle is long gone.

Depends on the application really. For fish or eggs I use a large shallow ceramic pan - nothing sticks to it, even with minimal butter or oil. For steaks or chops I use cast iron Le Creuset's of various sizes. Curries or stir fries go in a non-stick wok. Probably my overall favourite is a Sainbury's Collection pan, non stick with a heavy copper base that sits securely on the burner, and perfectly shaped sides for tossing thing over. May sound stupid, but it feels like a natural extension to my arm, like a well balanced knife does
Pan.jpg

Depends on the application really. For fish or eggs I use a large shallow ceramic pan - nothing sticks to it, even with minimal butter or oil. For steaks or chops I use cast iron Le Creuset's of various sizes. Curries or stir fries go in a non-stick wok. Probably my overall favourite is a Sainbury's Collection pan, non stick with a heavy copper base that sits securely on the burner, and perfectly shaped sides for tossing thing over. May sound stupid, but it feels like a natural extension to my arm, like a well balanced knife does
.View attachment 7278

I like the curved sides on the one pictured.

I am similar to @epicuric on this - a number of frying pans/woks for different applications. A 100mm dia mini Teflon coated wok for frying eggs, a 150mm dia cast iron pan for dry frying spices, and a couple of 280mm/300mm dia Teflon coated woks (one with lid) for curries, a deep 300mm dia lidded Teflon pan which used to be my favourite (still used for dum), plus a variety of other general purpose frying pans (all Teflon coated).

[Edit: I may get some pictures later when the weather brightens up a bit]

Last edited:
Maybe I need more frying pans - I just have the one (plus a small non-stick frying pan). I use it for all the above applications, although I do have a chef's pan which I also use for curry. If someone can persuade me why I need more than one (type of) frying pan then I will gladly purchase another.

If you ask which is the most often used, it's this one:

wok and lid s.jpg

I went to a Chinese carry out once. I ordered a stir fry.
The owner said "What you do for riving?"
I said "Do you mean "living"
"Yes" he said.
I said "I'm a comedian".
He said "Go on then, change colour".
"Not a chameleon", I said. "A comedian".
"OK, make me laugh then", he said.
Just then I noticed the wok in which my stir fry was cooking was on fire!
I exclaimed "Wok, wok!"
"Who's there", he said.

I thought, bugger this, I'm going for an Indian.

This is a "Fontignac" 280 mm Teflon coated which we obtained free by saving up stickers in one of our supermarkets.

Fontignac frypan s.jpg

I don't like it because the handle gets very hot and it requires an oven glove.

Back
Top Bottom