Your favourite mushroom

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
8:08 PM
Do you have a favourite mushroom? Are you able to buy (or forage) a wide range? I adore all types of mushrooms and particularly like to cook them whole, when possible.

I'm hard pushed to decide on a favourite because I love all mushrooms but I do by portobellini quite often as they cook whole quite easily and look good on the plate. I also like chanterelles which have a delicious slightly fruity taste and such a pretty colour.

Which mushrooms can you obtain where you live and which are your favourites?

I would my fave three; nay, four are: shiitakes, portabellas, wood ears, and a Chinese black mushroom that I have yet been able to identify, but one nearby restaurant makes a fantastic stir fry with them.

And while I live in an area that's loaded with all kinds of 'shrooms, I am not knowledgeable enough to risk picking them for myself.

We grew up picking field mushrooms and selling to our local shop. Called portobello but my go to is button mushrooms.. So flexible. I trick I learned by mistake is to cook then turn off. Let them settle then heat again. With bit of cream. I love it done this way on toast.

Russ

Fresh Italian porcini, but they are hard to come by and cost $$ when we can get them. Otherwise, any mushroom I have tried.

We grew up picking field mushrooms and selling to our local shop. Called portobello but my go to is button mushrooms.. So flexible. I trick I learned by mistake is to cook then turn off. Let them settle then heat again. With bit of cream. I love it done this way on toast.

Russ

The first dish I ever learned to cook using red wine, butter, and fresh time was with button shrooms.

I thought I was a genius, it was so good.

I later found out that it was a common preparation, and it is hard to screw up.

I can't remember................

high emoji.png

Seriously, the mushrooms available here are quite varied. We tend to buy shiitake, king oyster, straw or champignon (although the latter is not always available and expensive). I usually keep a tin of button mushrooms in brine for emergencies.

Fresh cepes/porcini, morels, shi taki, oyster, chanterelle, lobster etc. I haven't tried any that I didn't like. Canned or jarred are disgusting. Ground up dried porcini is an excellent ingredient to a mushroom dish as it gives that umami flavor.

I am not knowledgeable enough to risk picking them for myself.
We grew up picking field mushrooms and selling to our local shop.

What a contrast between these two comments! How were you sure the mushrooms you picked were safe @rascal? I think there are poisonous ones that resemble field mushrooms.

i guess my mum must have told me it was safe.

Russ

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    177.4 KB · Views: 215
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    214.5 KB · Views: 195
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom