Your Favourite Piece of Kitchen Equipment

kitchenwitch

Veteran
Local time
1:02 PM
Do you have any tools or appliances that have changed the way you cook, or that just make you happy every time you use them?

For me, the first on that list would have to be my beautiful shiny yellow electric mixer. I'm saving up for a fancy Kitchenaid stand mixer in a pretty colour, but for now whenever I use my yellow mixer it makes me smile.

Other than that my parents bought me a high quality knife set last Christmas to replace the cheap secondhand ones I had gotten when I moved into my current apartment. The first time I used those knives the difference was like night and day compared to my old ones. I keep them nice and sharp and whenever I'm chopping and slicing now I'm mindful of how much easier it is with good knives.

I also have about a dozen sets of linzer cookie cutters for all different occasions, and they make it so easy to get a beautiful result that looks like you spent hours slaving over it. I'm a big fan of anything that can help give that professional, clean look.

Do you have any kitchen tools that are a joy to use?

I can't do without my electric whisk. I use it for everything. And silicon bakeware. Nothing sticks to it and its easy to clean.

If knives count as equipment then its my chef's knife. Super sharp at all times. Rarely use a mixer (well I don't even have one) or even an electric whisk, which may seem odd considering my cooking obsession. Immersion blender is used a lot. Spice grinder quite a lot. Otherwise mandolin slicer and microplane (both are hand tools). Spiralizer occasionally (again, its a hand tool).

Hee-hee. I don't really do cakes. Hence my lack of mixing and whisking gear. If I make a cake I go for the all in one method. Do you ever do that?

I have yes . its certainly a lot quicker than adding things one by one. I like just chucking everything in in one go.

Is stab mixer the same as immersion mixer? I ask because I've heard talk of the Bamix which by all accounts, is the Grand Mummy/Daddy of immersion mixers. Is it that what you mean by stab mixer?
Yes,I don't buy expensive ones ,I hammer the cheap ones ,even at work ,just have ones that the head and blades remove for cleaning

I don't go much beyond a good vegetable knife. Most of the utensils on offer seem to have no benefit other than to con the public into shelling out money for something that is useless. I bought a garlic crusher once and after two or three uses, gave up on it and went back to chopping garlic with a knife.

I don't go much beyond a good vegetable knife. Most of the utensils on offer seem to have no benefit other than to con the public into shelling out money for something that is useless. I bought a garlic crusher once and after two or three uses, gave up on it and went back to chopping garlic with a knife.
I limit my kitchen equipment to the necessary stuff at home , or stuff I could not do with out it ,I walk past Lakeland cook shop and always amazes me the stuff people buy and could do without

I hardly use any equipment and I thought I was a decent cook. I just want a knife and I can "butcher" anything thing in the kitchen. I like the blender but that's broken or accidentally thrown out by my help. The juicer which I loved because my husband was making some nice juices once it landed has now been retired with various parts scattered here. I just work with the basics. It's only when I see things mentioned here I go to see what I might use to see how "good it feels".

Do you have any tools or appliances that have changed the way you cook, or that just make you happy every time you use them?

For me, the first on that list would have to be my beautiful shiny yellow electric mixer. I'm saving up for a fancy Kitchenaid stand mixer in a pretty colour, but for now whenever I use my yellow mixer it makes me smile.

Other than that my parents bought me a high quality knife set last Christmas to replace the cheap secondhand ones I had gotten when I moved into my current apartment. The first time I used those knives the difference was like night and day compared to my old ones. I keep them nice and sharp and whenever I'm chopping and slicing now I'm mindful of how much easier it is with good knives.

I also have about a dozen sets of linzer cookie cutters for all different occasions, and they make it so easy to get a beautiful result that looks like you spent hours slaving over it. I'm a big fan of anything that can help give that professional, clean look.

Do you have any kitchen tools that are a joy to use?

I am not sure it is a joy to use, but we get a lot of use out of our pepper grinder. Both my roommate and myself use this daily to put fresh pepper on our food. It is handy dandy little device, that always gives us the coarse ground pepper we enjoy. It was empty once, and we had to figure out how to refill it, but now we do.

I could not live without my manual food processor.
I use it (them) for many many things. Though do NOT store diced onions in one. That smell is hard to get out.

Back
Top Bottom