Your favourite salad leaves

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
4:53 AM
What type of salad leaves do you like? Do you prefer soft leaves, crunchy leaves or both? Here is my latest love - fantastically pretty pink radicchio and baby Gromula radicchio (photographed earlier). Both are all the way from Italy:

fullsizeoutput_2d62.jpeg

I've been wanting to try Mache, but can understandably, never find it.

I have to look that up...

Ah - I think its what is sold as 'lamb's lettuce' in the UK?

The unusual name reputedly comes from the lettuce's resemblance to the size and shape of a lamb's tongue.
lambs-lettuce

Its fairly easy to obtain here - I must say that I'm not convinced by it. The leaves are soft and the flavour isn't very pronounced. Maybe I just haven't had a good type.

I love lamb's lettuce. The ones I had came from France (Riverford have a farm there too) and were absolutely gorgeous. I usually get a pack of their mixed salad leaves, which can be practically anything in season. The only leaves I am not keen on are iceberg lettuce. I'd rather use white cabbage for a bit of crunch and some proper flavour.

We use romaine, bib, red or green leaf lettuce, arugula, and iceberg. Which kind depends on what it is being used for.

I've never seen those 2 morning glory posted, even in the ritzy stores. They sure would make a pretty salad, probably a tasty one too.

Back
Top Bottom