Your favourite soups

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
9:17 PM
What are your favourite soups? Do you prefer creamy style soups or darker meaty soups? Or perhaps tomato based soups are your favourite. And then there is the question of smooth or chunky. Tell us your favourites.

French onion with gruyere on the toasts and gewurztraminer for the wine ranks up there, but I can't choose a favorite. Homemade Minestrone using parmesan bones as part of the flavoring. Conch and clam chowder (chowdah for you Bostonians). Thai pork meatball and glass noodle. Cioppino. Bouleabaise. Crab soup. I've got to stop here as the brain is down loading a torrent of soups. One more, Gumbo. Soup for us is generally the whole meal with few exceptions.

Last edited:
I generally don't eat soup as a first course as I only generally eat one course. So if I do eat soup it will have plenty of chunks in it, e.g. tom yam. And noodle soup is very popular here but I doubt many westerners would call them soups.

Pork knuckle and boiled egg soup.

2 s.jpg

Soup says simple
comfort food to me. Chicken noodle and won ton soup… particularly wor won ton soup… The big family-sized sharing bowls with sliced Char siu, etc. you find in certain Chinese restaurants, Chinatown or San Francisco. Love a slurpy noodle in my soup. Ramen shops are popping up all over the place…

Last edited:
To add, hot and sour soup that we made and ate not too long ago for the first time, wild rice and smoked turkey with corn, carrots, onions, of course homemade chicken soup. Pho.

Last edited:
Colleen's home made chicken noodle soup with bow tie noodles. It rocks!!!

About a year into our marriage I got sick with a cold. She made a pot of this chicken noodle soup. I told her thanks, but I didn't really like soups. My mom only made the canned condensed soup that was horrible.

She said sure, but it was on the stove if I wanted some. It smelled so good that I had to try it. To this day, it is my favorite soup. She must make it with the big fat bow tie noodles!!!

Wish I was more fond of eggs. They seem to add an egg on top of many of the Ramen soups.

Last edited:
Being a basically-Slavic family (Czechoslovak), we of course ate accordingly while I was growing up. Some of the traditional soups likely would sound most unusual to many: Tripe Soup, Ox-tail Soup, liver-dumpling soup. Other foods: Beef tongue, Beef Brains, Beef Kidneys (ugh, horrible!).

My Mother's soups often had Barley in them. It thickened the base, and made it nicely "mouth-feeling". As for my personal preferences now, the watery, thin soups such as those sold canned, Chicken Noodle, Minestrone, etc., are among those I cherish the least. Thick, gravy-like soups are preferable. Potato soup, properly prepared, is wonderful!

Always had vege soup as kids, grew up in a poor area, vege and barley. I hate vege soup now. However I do love thick creamy tomato soup. In winter I do it at least once a week. With 3 pieces of toast gerenously spread with butter and cut into thin slices. Soldiers. Lol. Lots of pepper. My daughter says I make the best chicken n corn soup she's ever tasted. I'm not a fan but my family love it, so I make it. My son also says its the best. Many years ago we were at a Chinese smorgasbord, youngest was about 12, he had about 10 bowls of it. Still says mines the best.

Russ

I wasn't going to bother capturing images of this evening's soup but it was very hot so I had some time.

One of the things that I like about soup is being able to "dip yer bread".

4 s.jpg

I wasn't going to bother capturing images of this evening's soup but it was very hot so I had some time.

One of the things that I like about soup is being able to "dip yer bread".

View attachment 21679

Do you have kikkoman's lemon and/or Lime ponzu sauce where you are? It's great drizzled on won tons. I ran out, but will pick up some more and add a few drops to the wonton soup.

Back
Top Bottom