Your Photos

Wow, that last one seems very restrictive. We need a bit of that in the UK judging by how often press reports foreign criminals absconding and authorities being unable to track them down. Does it put you off exploring the country or is it easier to deal with in practice?

Actually it's not very well policed. However, the majority of decent hotels submit returns every day with details of foreign guests (after recording passport details on check in) which is sufficient. Officially though, your houseowner (wife in my case) should report when you return. There is a specific government form which caters for this [The fine is around £18.00 if you don't comply].

A couple of pics of my boy playing rugby. He loves being lifted up in lineouts.

I remember asking my boss (a rugby player and fanatic) many years ago about the lifting of team members in lineouts. It was illegal at one point but as everyone did it anyway, the authorities changed the rule.

A couple of pics of my boy playing rugby. He loves being lifted up in lineouts.

View attachment 7077

View attachment 7078

Great stuff @buckytom, those guys look seriously committed. I didn't know you were into rugby over there. Out of interest how do you compare it with NFL? I have friends here that follow NFL, and tease them that's it's just like rugby league with more padding and better pay. However, having watched quite a bit of NFL on telly it does seem quite intense, compared even with the rugby union I played through school. Not sure if you are aware of the league vs. union rugby over here? One is a proper man's game, the other is played up North by blokes who weren't any good at football

I remember asking my boss (a rugby player and fanatic) many years ago about the lifting of team members in lineouts. It was illegal at one point but as everyone did it anyway, the authorities changed the rule.

After a lifetime of playing and watching American football, it's taken me the entire season to learn the rules and strategies of Union rugby. It's a very interesting sport that I hope catches on and becomes more popular here. It has all of the hallmarks of everything we love: a ball, you can use your hands, and it's violent.

Last edited:
Great stuff @buckytom, those guys look seriously committed. I didn't know you were into rugby over there. Out of interest how do you compare it with NFL? I have friends here that follow NFL, and tease them that's it's just like rugby league with more padding and better pay. However, having watched quite a bit of NFL on telly it does seem quite intense, compared even with the rugby union I played through school. Not sure if you are aware of the league vs. union rugby over here? One is a proper man's game, the other is played up North by blokes who weren't any good at football

Lol, the little bit that I know is union rules.

I think they both have their unique qualities that make them fun to watch.

The pads and helmet give you the almost boozy confidence that you can run into a much larger man at full speed leading with your head. I'm not sure if that's a good thing.

But having played full contact, no pads football when I was a kid (not organized; just between neighbors in rival towns) I have to admit that it takes more guts to run full speed at almost a dozen other guys and try to hit and tackle without a helmet.

However, I think simply because we are a much larger country, we have larger athletes willing to strap on the pads and try to run through other huge men. There's something akin to gladiatorial pleasure in it.

After a lifetime of playing and watching American football, it's taken me the entire season to learn the rules and strategies of Union rugby. It's a very interesting sport tbat I hope catches on and becomes more popular here.it has all of the hallmarks of everything we love: a ball, you can use your hands, and it's violent.
Do you get tv access to our Six Nations Championship? For those of us who don't do football (soccer) it's probably up there with your Superbowl. England, Wales, Scotland, Northen Ireland, France and Italy. It's brutal and passionate. Never a more moving experience than watching Wales play at home. Makes me loathe Premier League football even more.

No, but I will look for it on satellite. Thanks.

Last edited:
It is a blessing...and a curse. We used to have family in Florida. One time we were visiting at Christmastime the weather for the return trip turned ugly. Blizzard conditions along the coast - and 1100 miles between where we were and where we had to be. Thankfully my hubby's boss was understanding. We ended up getting back two days later than expected, but it was all good.

It's amazing, though, how you can leave snow and temperatures below freezing, drive three days (two if you're sturdy, but we like to take our time), and end up being able to wear shorts and sandals.
I once flew down to my mother's with my baby. She lived about 10 hours away at the time: it is now 8. It was nice and warm down there. Fly back two days later and I am so glad my dad had thought to bring a heavy blanket for the baby when he picked us up at airport.

My hubby told me he wanted to move to FL when he retired after we became engaged. I told him he would have to find someone else because I didn't want to live somewhere that was hot seven or eight months of the year. He married me instead. As his consolation "prize", we spend a week at a resort on Florida's west coast. This is our view from our room:

View attachment 7057
Beautiful.

2 nights ago. Caused by some 'controlled burning'. Initially (the tail on the right) it was controlled burning, but something went wrong (on the left). Bush or grass fires look like the long tail, serious fire (like a house or building(s)) look like the dark plume. It was a lot closer than my phone made it look and a lot more serious. Rather like Scotland, diversions can be long and 'interesting'. This one closed the road the following morning after a harsh frost push everything back down. My hubby made it through before the road was closed by about 10 minutes and said that accidents were already happening and the smoke made him cough and his lungs hurt (and still were several hours later). The diversion was not worth thinking about.

DSC_1346_1024.JPG

But it made for a nice sunset!

2 nights ago. Caused by some 'controlled burning'. Initially (the tail on the right) it was controlled burning, but something went wrong (on the left). Bush or grass fires look like the long tail, serious fire (like a house or building(s)) look like the dark plume. It was a lot closer than my phone made it look and a lot more serious. Rather like Scotland, diversions can be long and 'interesting'. This one closed the road the following morning after a harsh frost push everything back down. My hubby made it through before the road was closed by about 10 minutes and said that accidents were already happening and the smoke made him cough and his lungs hurt (and still were several hours later). The diversion was not worth thinking about.

View attachment 7087

But it made for a nice sunset!
Lovely photo, SNSSO, in spite of the concerns and issues from the fire. I hope things are under control again and you and your hubby are fine.

Thanks, too, for liking my Florida photo. :)

Back
Top Bottom