Your Photos

Boat ramp, Whitstable - this morning:

20180109_113634.jpg

It was about 8C - but no wind at all (very oddly). It is usually windy on the coast as you will know. So with a warm coat on, I was fine. Not at all cold.
I haven't been to Whitstable since my daughter was a toddler. We also went to Margate and played on the beach. It was in February, and out of the wind it wasn't a bit cold.

Since we have some coastal shots here along with the fact that I mentioned oystercatchers on the general chat thread a couple of days ago, here are a couple of these fine birds poking about on the local links. As you can see from the muddy state of their bills, they have been busy.

I like oystercatchers. They are our most recognisable wader and they are busy and rather noisy birds.

003.JPG

Last edited:
Since we have some coastal shots here along with the fact that I mentioned oystercatchers on the general chat thread a couple of days ago, here are a couple of these fine birds poking about on the local links. As you can see from the muddy state of their bills, they have been busy.

I like oystecatchers. They are our most recognisable wader and they are busy and rather noisy birds.

View attachment 12793

Yes, they are very attractive birds and I've often seen them in Whitstable (which, after all is an oyster heaven!). I didn't see any on this trip but I did see a lone bird flitting about on the sea wall which looked like a sparrow - but it had orangey red in its tail. It was light brown otherwise. A dunnock perhaps? I tried to photograph it but it was too quick.

Curiously enough, oystercatchers don't really bother with oysters. Their main prey is mussels and - curiously again - oystercatchers split into two camps when it comes to technique. There are hammerers and chisellers; the former bash the shells open and the latter prise them apart with a little more subtlety.

Back
Top Bottom