Your Photos

@SlightlyConfused - do I understand that you worked as a professional photographer?
Yes I do it on rare occasion now but mostly retired starting last fall, probably is part of why I took up cooking. Last summer was the last year of my covering music festivals in Canada. I have seen so many bands I cannot recall many of them. I am not old but getting older and 3 days of running around with 40-50 lbs of gear was just getting harder and harder. I do fine art as well. Part of the reason for the retirement I have photos I don't think I have seen since off loading them from my Camera and I need to start dealing with my legacy soon or 10's of thousands of images will be lost.I don't want to leave the burden to my family either. So I need time away from it all at least this year at least and I doubt I will go back the passion just is not there anymore. I may end up giving most of them away to a university of public gallery. It just takes so much work to sort out a lifetime of photos and donating them is not as easy as one thinks. Sorry for the long answer.

Yes I do it on rare occasion now but mostly retired starting last fall, probably is part of why I took up cooking. Last summer was the last year of my covering music festivals in Canada. I have seen so many bands I cannot recall many of them. I am not old but getting older and 3 days of running around with 40-50 lbs of gear was just getting harder and harder. I do fine art as well. Part of the reason for the retirement I have photos I don't think I have seen since off loading them from my Camera and I need to start dealing with my legacy soon or 10's of thousands of images will be lost.I don't want to leave the burden to my family either. So I need time away from it all at least this year at least and I doubt I will go back the passion just is not there anymore. I may end up giving most of them away to a university of public gallery. It just takes so much work to sort out a lifetime of photos and donating them is not as easy as one thinks. Sorry for the long answer.

Not a long answer so don't worry. I understand exactly the issue you are facing with all those photos. My background is in film (old school non-digital). I recently started taking food photographs (digital) and already I've run into problems cataloguing them all.

I hadn't come across DOA but I looked them up and now know they are a Canadian punk band!

Not a long answer so don't worry. I understand exactly the issue you are facing with all those photos. My background is in film (old school non-digital). I recently started taking food photographs (digital) and already I've run into problems cataloguing them all.

I hadn't come across DOA but I looked them up and now know they are a Canadian punk band!

The biggest issue about being a photographer is I miss the shows, it may sound odd but my photos were what was paying the bills so all my time was getting the good shot and hopefully one no one else has.. I was at the last (at my age you get a lot of last shows) Motorhead show in Canada and I am sort of torn by this, I was not under contract to photograph them and I decided to just enjoy the show I left my camera back at my truck so my wife and I could enjoy the show but as it turns out it was their last. At first I was upset I didn't take photos but in the end I am glad I just watched it, photos would be just another pile but the show lives on in my memory.

If you going to do photos and lots of them you are better off paying a few bucks and having a separate external drive you download them too, they you know wha is on it and is easier to organize, I did that in later years but the first few are a horrible jumbled mess. I have rolls of film from early on that I still have not developed since i was always under contract I did the photos to fulfill those first and if I had time I would deal with the ones that I owned and to many times I just never got around to it, So I have set up a small dark room I'm my house until I get them all developed but it is time consuming and I need to know what is on them. I knew I had some undeveloped film but I have at least 120 films that need to be done. One more piece of Advice back up and back up often.

I doubt I will go back the passion just is not there anymore
This is a real shame, but I do understand. Just maybe not as strongly yet!

Hope you find a good home for your excellent images. They deserve to be seen by a wider audience. Could you create a book? It could be very niche but it is surprising the markets that exist. A friend 'wrote' a book on Neil Young years ago and I was amazed at how it sold considering how niche it was - basically a list of his gigs and their content. It went to a second edition!

Vaguely remember DOA but never saw them, not my thing! But we are of a similar era I think. Spent good times at The Edge (church/gerrard), The Izzy (sherborne/isabella) and other venues around town. Did you go to Heatwave at Mosport?

And welcome aboard. Good to have you here.

Nothing special, but the light was wonderful. Taken in the rain.

20180615071017_IMG_1226.JPG

A couple of shots taken on the longest day (or at least longest daylight) of the year. The first was taken at my local railway station where a pair of lesser black-backed gulls have built a nest on a small building at the end of one of the platforms. We could see three chicks there, but only this one popped its head out.

The second was taken at just after half past ten. The large crane is clear against the sky and you can see the redness of the sunset still showing, even this late in the day.

Picture 094.jpg
Picture 095.jpg

A couple of shots taken on the longest day (or at least longest daylight) of the year. The first was taken at my local railway station where a pair of lesser black-backed gulls have built a nest on a small building at the end of one of the platforms. We could see three chicks there, but only this one popped its head out.

The second was taken at just after half past ten. The large crane is clear against the sky and you can see the redness of the sunset still showing, even this late in the day.

View attachment 16954 View attachment 16955
I can clearly remember staying in Aberdeen for 6 weeks many summers ago and the only way of achieving any kind of darkness for any length of time was to close the very heavy draped curtains. Something I hated doing but at 11pm it was still daylight.

Mind you cycling north of the Arctic circle for as long as well did and having 24 hours daylight for weeks on end, soon wore off the novelty factor. Right we've cycled at midnight in daylight once, don't need to do it again. Can we please have some darkness back?

Back
Top Bottom