Your Photos

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Last day here in Nelson at top of the South Island. The tuis (birds) are all around us. I pad doesn't do good pics but this is a view out French doors and also opposite view from the lounge.

Russ

@Lullabelle
How closely your photo taken from the bridge resembles our creek in Missouri, which traversed the large rural property my wife and I bought in conjunction with my nephew and a neighbor! We escaped the madness of Phoenix, Arizona by doing so. 300 acres located deep within 7-million acre Mark Twain National Forest.
img02811.jpg

@Lullabelle
How closely your photo taken from the bridge resembles our creek in Missouri, which traversed the large rural property my wife and I bought in conjunction with my nephew and a neighbor! We escaped the madness of Phoenix, Arizona by doing so. 300 acres located deep within 7-million acre Mark Twain National Forest.
img02811.jpg

Sounds wonderful. You write in the past tense - does that mean you no longer own it?

It looks lovely and green considering the heat where you are.

Our garden always looks green in the hot season (>35 degC) because it is also the wet season. Now that it's cooler and dry many of the leaves and much of the grass is turning a little brown. It appears that winter ended last Saturday after five or six days of chilly temperatures (<20 degC),

Sounds wonderful. You write in the past tense - does that mean you no longer own it?
@morning glory
Yes, we sold out in 2012 after 13 years there, and moved back to West-Central Arizona along the Colorado River. We had lived in Missouri after 20 years in Phoenix, AZ. The County road divided the property east to west, and on it's north side stood a 100 year old farmhouse having electricity, water well, and telephone, but no internet or cell service. One of my wife's life-long dreams: an old farmhouse!

farmho10.jpg

Firewood was the sole heat source. There was already a Timberline stove installed in the add-on sun room to the right, and with our old Elmira cookstove brought with us, all we needed was lots of muscle-power t cut and split firewood, an unending chore which became more difficult for me as I passed through my sixties. We "Snowbirded" two winters in our present area near Laughlin, NV/Bullhead City, AZ in a rented condo, all the while lured by the great number of recession-produced foreclosures and short-sales, and bought our present house in 2012. The experience in Missouri was both good and bad, but it WAS an experience! impish

lots of muscle-power t cut and split firewood, an unending chore which became more difficult for me as I passed through my sixties

I can relate to that @impish … two-thirds of my large house here is heated by one woodburning stove (although I do light a second one if it gets very cold) and the amount of work that goes into chainsawing and splitting logs isn't to be under-estimated. I try to do most of the work in September, but in reality it's a year-round task. I'm 66 years old and still capable of doing it (and to be honest it's the only exercise I get in the depths of the winter) but each year it seems just that little bit harder...

@morning glory
Yes, we sold out in 2012 after 13 years there, and moved back to West-Central Arizona along the Colorado River. We had lived in Missouri after 20 years in Phoenix, AZ. The County road divided the property east to west, and on it's north side stood a 100 year old farmhouse having electricity, water well, and telephone, but no internet or cell service. One of my wife's life-long dreams: an old farmhouse!

farmho10.jpg

Firewood was the sole heat source. There was already a Timberline stove installed in the add-on sun room to the right, and with our old Elmira cookstove brought with us, all we needed was lots of muscle-power t cut and split firewood, an unending chore which became more difficult for me as I passed through my sixties. We "Snowbirded" two winters in our present area near Laughlin, NV/Bullhead City, AZ in a rented condo, all the while lured by the great number of recession-produced foreclosures and short-sales, and bought our present house in 2012. The experience in Missouri was both good and bad, but it WAS an experience! impish

Oh wow that looks lovely, not sure I want to chop and split firewood to be honest but I understand the appeal of the place :happy:

I can relate to that @impish … two-thirds of my large house here is heated by one woodburning stove (although I do light a second one if it gets very cold) and the amount of work that goes into chainsawing and splitting logs isn't to be under-estimated. I try to do most of the work in September, but in reality it's a year-round task. I'm 66 years old and still capable of doing it (and to be honest it's the only exercise I get in the depths of the winter) but each year it seems just that little bit harder...

:hug:

@Wandering Bob
My shoulders began to give out after I reached my late '60s. First few seasons I cut and split using my 10 lb. sledge and splitting wedges. Ax splitting was impossible as nearly all the trees available were oak and walnut. My Dad had told me as a kid, he having grown up on a variety of farms, Red Oak splits easily, but White Oak is rough. How right he was! The worst winter there we consumed 20 cords. The last few years I used a 28 ton gasoline/hydraulic splitter.

Early on, I realized my numerous hobby pursuits, as well as keeping vehicles running, would require a shop building. As we both had quit our jobs in Phoenix, and had none in Missouri, as I awaited 62 and the magical Social Security vault doors to swing open, spending had to kept to a minimum. Wanting masonry construction, concrete block was $1.25 each, and I needed several thousand, so began 4-wheeling up and down that creek, gathering appropriately-sized river rock. The building was 24 X 32 feet, walls 12 inches thick, fully reinforced verticall and horizontally with a grid of 1/2-inch reinforcing steel on 2-foot centers. Here's the walls being worked on:
img14711.jpg
The mountain of rocks I had collected is in the background.

Below, we are setting a window. My wife often took a turn setting rock!
img05110.jpg

The foundation footing came first. Then the floor slab. Had no idea how many rocks I'd need, so gathered plenty!
img01710.jpg

The rock-laying finished!
img01910.jpg

Starting the roof:
img26810.jpg

That fool building the roof was 60 years old. Rafters were 2X8, raised in place using my automotive "cherry picker".
img02010.jpg

Working alone, something I was well-accustomed to, completion took nearly a year. The next project was design and construction of a live steam, working scale-model locomotive. My track is visible entering the shop. One of my woodpiles visible, that one for the shop stove.
woodpi11.jpg

@Wandering Bob
My shoulders began to give out after I reached my late '60s. First few seasons I cut and split using my 10 lb. sledge and splitting wedges. Ax splitting was impossible as nearly all the trees available were oak and walnut. My Dad had told me as a kid, he having grown up on a variety of farms, Red Oak splits easily, but White Oak is rough. How right he was! The worst winter there we consumed 20 cords. The last few years I used a 28 ton gasoline/hydraulic splitter.

Early on, I realized my numerous hobby pursuits, as well as keeping vehicles running, would require a shop building. As we both had quit our jobs in Phoenix, and had none in Missouri, as I awaited 62 and the magical Social Security vault doors to swing open, spending had to kept to a minimum. Wanting masonry construction, concrete block was $1.25 each, and I needed several thousand, so began 4-wheeling up and down that creek, gathering appropriately-sized river rock. The building was 24 X 32 feet, walls 12 inches thick, fully reinforced verticall and horizontally with a grid of 1/2-inch reinforcing steel on 2-foot centers. Here's the walls being worked on:
img14711.jpg
The mountain of rocks I had collected is in the background.

Below, we are setting a window. My wife often took a turn setting rock!
img05110.jpg

The foundation footing came first. Then the floor slab. Had no idea how many rocks I'd need, so gathered plenty!
img01710.jpg

The rock-laying finished!
img01910.jpg

Starting the roof:
img26810.jpg

That fool building the roof was 60 years old. Rafters were 2X8, raised in place using my automotive "cherry picker".
img02010.jpg

Working alone, something I was well-accustomed to, completion took nearly a year. The next project was design and construction of a live steam, working scale-model locomotive. My track is visible entering the shop. One of my woodpiles visible, that one for the shop stove.
woodpi11.jpg

:eek: :ohmy: wow! That is impressive :thumbsup:

I could use some guidance here. Is "Photos" supposed to be limited to FOOD related photos?

As far as I know @impish … you can post whatever you like in threads within the Cooking Bites Café sub-forum, it doesn't have to be restricted to food-related topics.

Back
Top Bottom