Your Screen name and Avatar?

Karen W

Über Member
Local time
6:46 AM
What does your screen name mean, and what does your avatar represent? Is there a funny, personal, or interesting story behind it? Some are obvious.

Last edited:
Well pretty obviously mine is a Morning Glory flower. I've had this name 'on-line' for approx. 25 years! It is partly because its my favourite flower and partly because it often features in classical Chinese poetry.

My screen name is my real name, just didn't feel like typing "lark" after the second "C". I often change my avatar depending on my mood, but most often it will be of a snake. My current one is a yellow eyelash viper which is in a friend's collection. My wife and I bred Emerald Tree Boas for about 10 years, both sub-species, so I'll often put an avatar of one of the breeders or offspring. Boas bear live young.

Not anymore, now it is an Amazon Basin emerald tree boa.

Last edited:
Depends on the female's size. We had a 6' basin emerald give us 11 live and 2-3 slugs. We had a 3' northern give us 2 live, one still born and a couple slugs. The actual term for live bearing is ovoviviparous.

My name has to do with my work and 49 was my age at the time I first started using it. My avatar is a picture of our first set of pugs. The 2 girls in the middle were mine and Craig's for all but the first few months of their lives. The 1 on the far right was our daughter's, though she still lived with us when she first got her, so I got to pug babysit while DD was at school and work (I work from home), then moved away when DD did, ended up coming back to live with us twice, first when DD felt bad about leaving her so much with work and school, then back to DD after she got married, and then finally back with us when DD had a baby and the pug snapped at the baby after she started to crawl and bugged the pug too much wanting to play with her. The little black guy was about a year old when he came to live with us. He was my special little buddy.

My name is because I had an old British sidevalve [flat head to you guys in the states I think] BSA motorcycle for many years and my avatar - well Kenny from South Park just seemed appropriate [name matches] but I'm trying to live a little longer :D

Well, since you asked...

My username is a nickname that I am called at work.

It's a combo of my real name, Tom, and the name my first supervisor called me. I was just a kid of 22 years, working mostly with engineers that were 50+. One day, we needed to move a dozen or so 750 MB hard drives from one end of the building to another. Back then, a hard drive was the size of medium sized refrigerator on its side, and weighed hundreds of pounds. None of the older guys wanted to do it, so my supervisor said, "Get the young buck to do it.", and the nickname stuck.
Half of the people in my building know me as Tom, and the other half Bucky. So a Korean coworker started calling me Buckytom, then that name stuck.

And I need to change my avatar. Ithe current one is a pumpkin carved in the likeness of myself and my wife. Sort of.

BT, did you do the carving? We've done some of the fancy carvings, but never got into shaving layers off to get the shadings..

BT, did you do the carving? We've done some of the fancy carvings, but never got into shaving layers off to get the shadings..

Lol, no, I'm only good for carving triangles, and either fanged or hobo teeth.

This pumpkin was from a display of similarly carved pumpkins that was incredible. This was Frankenstein and his bride, but there were dozens of horror movie themed carvings alongside.

Jeez, I thought it looked like Big Frank, but I didn't want to insult you by saying so. LOL!

My duck theme is merely an extension of my alter-ego Duck Holiday.

It's a bit of a long story, but this is the short version.

We have travelled quite extensively in eastern Europe and it was in Bucharest that we spotted some mallards on the river. We joked about which one might be Count Duckula and it became a bit of a theme to photograph a mallard wherever we went.

From all this, a travel blog was born and Duck Holiday seemed a good name for it.

Back
Top Bottom