SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
3:26 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I came across a recipe today that used Yuba and started to get curious. I had no idea what it was and yet I have been eating it for years without really knowing what it was really called or exactly what it was. Until know I have always known of it as Braised Tofu in a tin from Marigold. It is the only form I have seen it in in the UK.

yuba.jpg

And I really like it, but we have always restricted how much we have on it simply because of the cost which varies from £1.95 to £2.95 per tin and there is not a lot of it in the tin. When you open the tin, the tofu is in layers, sometimes thick, often folded together and easily prised apart into thinner layers, something we often do when serving it on sandwiches or in wraps. Anyone who has ever had any will know what I mean, but I can't find an image of an opened tin of it. It is not the same as any other tofu I have come across. It is not silken, not cubes, not solid, but in layers that have folded in on themselves.

But as you can see, it is called braised tofu on the tin, however, if you read this article, and I will quote a small section

Yuba is the Japanese word for tofu skin. Immediately after soy milk is produced, the hot soy milk is exposed to cool air. This causes the proteins in the soy milk to coagulate and bind together, forming a sheet on the surface if the soy milk isn’t stirred to inhibit this process. Many soy milk production facilities have a stirring device to stop the tofu from coagulating. Many other soy milk makers embrace this formation, lifting the sheets off and hanging them to partially dry into yuba.

After the sheets are mostly dried, they can be sliced into strips to be enjoyed in stir fries or even as a high protein stand-in for pasta. Yuba can even be layered and baked into freeform bites similar to how puff pastry is used. <snip>
The hardest part of working with yuba is finding it....

and all of a sudden I know what my braised tofu actually is! It is Yuba. Now to try to find some that is not marinated.

Edit: found a picture of it.
yuba.jpg

I came across a recipe today that used Yuba and started to get curious. I had no idea what it was and yet I have been eating it for years without really knowing what it was really called or exactly what it was. Until know I have always known of it as Braised Tofu in a tin from Marigold. It is the only form I have seen it in in the UK.

View attachment 1407

And I really like it, but we have always restricted how much we have on it simply because of the cost which varies from £1.95 to £2.95 per tin and there is not a lot of it in the tin. When you open the tin, the tofu is in layers, sometimes thick, often folded together and easily prised apart into thinner layers, something we often do when serving it on sandwiches or in wraps. Anyone who has ever had any will know what I mean, but I can't find an image of an opened tin of it. It is not the same as any other tofu I have come across. It is not silken, not cubes, not solid, but in layers that have folded in on themselves.

But as you can see, it is called braised tofu on the tin, however, if you read this article, and I will quote a small section

and all of a sudden I know what my braised tofu actually is! It is Yuba. Now to try to find some that is not marinated.

Edit: found a picture of it.
View attachment 1408

I've never come across this. Its a bit like the skin on rice pudding then! :D I'm think you must be getting the tins from a health food shop as I've never seen them (yes, you've guessed it, I never cross the thresholds of health food shops). I will have to try it.

I have never even heard of this before so now you have me intrigued.
I am not sure that it is even available around here but I am going to try
and remember to look for it the next time I am at the grocery store.
I am glad to hear that it tastes better then it looks because he isn't
the best looking food!!

Back
Top Bottom