Recipe Yucatecan Style Lasagna

CraigC

Guru
Local time
7:57 AM
@morning glory, this is what I told you to hang onto the achiote for. I made the dish but only partially cooked 1/2 a recipe, which will be finished for a meal later in the week. Based on the sauce, I decided it is a winner! The recipe calls for cooking lasagna noodles, but I used Barilla no boil sheets. I've used them for other lasagna and was pleased with the results. I was lazy and didn't want to make fresh sheets, because we also made another "Mexican" dish for tonight's dinner. If you can't get fresh Mexican chorizo, I'll provide a recipe.
Recipe courtesy of Patti Jinich, "Patti's Mexican Table".

Ingredients
1/4 cup olive oil
1 pound Mexican chorizo casings removed, coarsely chopped
1 pound ground beef
1 large red onion finely chopped
5 cloves garlic finely chopped
1 green bell pepper finely chopped (about 1 cup)
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
4 tablespoons achiote paste
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon kosher or coarse sea salt
4 cups homemade chicken broth or store bought, divided
1 cup light beer
1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
1 pound lasagna noodles
2 cups ricotta cheese
3 cups Edam cheese grated

Directions
1) Heat oil in a casserole over medium-high heat.
2) Add chorizo and beef and cook for 6 to 7 minutes until it starts to brown.
3) Make room in the middle, add onion, garlic and bell pepper, and cook for 9 to 10 minutes until vegetables have completely softened, juices have all been absorbed, and meat has browned further.
4) Meanwhile, in a blender, puree orange juice, lime juice, achiote paste, tomato paste, oregano, salt and a cup of the chicken broth, until completely smooth.
5) Pour beer into the casserole with the meat and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, until it starts cooking off.
6) Reduce heat to medium and pour in the achiote paste mixture. Stir and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, until sauce is very thick.
7) Add crushed tomatoes and the rest of the chicken broth, mix very well, reduce heat to lowest possible setting and cover. Cook for 20 minutes, uncover, raise heat to medium heat and cook for 10 more minutes, then turn off heat.
11) Place a rack in the middle position and preheat to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
12) Cook 1 pound of lasagna noodles in salted water until al dente. Drain.
13) Coat the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish with about one cup of meat sauce.
14) Add lasagna noodles, covering bottom of the pan entirely.
15) Cover with about 1/3 of the remaining sauce.
16) Add 1/3 of the ricotta cheese in dollops all spread out.
17) Cover with more lasagna noodles.
18) Repeat with 1/3 of the sauce and 1/3 of the ricotta cheese.
19) Repeat one more time and add the Edam cheese on top.
20) Lightly cover the pan with aluminum foil and place in the oven for 40 minutes. Remove foil and leave in the oven for another 20 minutes, until cheese is completely melted, crisp and browned and lasagna is completely set.
21) Remove from oven and let stand for 15 to 20 minutes before cutting and serving.

36788-albums1111-picture7271.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom