Recipe Čvarkuše (tchwarkushe), savory biscuits with bacon bits

Timenspace

Guru
Local time
4:41 PM
Čvarci in Croatia are a traditional way of preparing bacon bits, fried and covered in milk and then boiled a little more and then covered in spices and salt. Nowadays they are rather pricey, kind of a delicacy, families that have farms and prepare them themselves are in the plus, definitely. Here is a video about the prep method, in case one is curious.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZTFyKndyNc

Here is a photo of the čvarci: (by Večernji.hr)

Čvarkuše are a savoury biscuit snack, containing those bacon bits. There is a large array of recipes. I used an Index.hr recipe and modified it a bit.

Ingredients:
PASTRY

500 g whole grain wheat flour
250 ml of rice milk
half a teaspoon of sugar
1 instant yeast pack 7 g
25 g of lard, room temperature
half a teaspoon salt

FILLING
125 g of čvarci (bacon bits)
1 egg to spread on top
some lard to cover the baking pan

METHOD:
  1. Heat the milk mildly, mix in the yeast, the sugar and wait about 10 minutes for it to foam.
  2. Add the yeast mixture into the flour, add lard, salt and make a soft dough, divide it in 4 parts.
  3. Cover it with a cloth and let it rise for 30 minutes.
  4. Squash the bacon bits (čvarci), I used the bottom of a ceramic cup and just pressed them into the table, to get more of a paste like consistency or really small crumbs. You may use any kitchen aid you want. Divide into 3 parts.
  5. On a floured surface, roll out 1 part of the dough into 0,5 cm thick. Spread the bits over, and then layer the other dough parts and bacon bits. The last dough part will remain uncovered in bacon bits, kind of the top covering layer.
  6. I used a glass to cut out circles, you may use whatever shape you wish.
  7. Roll out the leftover dough, until you have used all of the dough.
  8. Grease the baking pan, and place the biscuits/čvarkuše on the pan.
  9. Smear some egg over the biscuit tops.
  10. Preheat the oven to 200 C.
  11. Bake for 15-20 minutes, I baked for 25 minutes, or until golden.
  12. Allow to cool and enjoy.

I found them even tastier the day after.

Photo by Večernji.hr

My biscuits:

Back
Top Bottom