10 best whiskies

Local time
5:23 PM
Website
www.helium.com
I came across this slideshow from the independent on the top 10 Scotch whiskies. As you may expect, they're all malts. Talisker 18 year old comes out on top. I like Talisker, but can't manage that price ticket.

A couple of my other favourites, Old Poultney and Dalwhinnie, are well down the list, and my absolute favourite, Isle of Jura, doesn't even make an appearance. I see there are several peaty ones in there, including my husband's favourite, Laphroaig.

So, any of your favourites in there? Are you surprised by the inclusions and/or omissions?

I lived in Aberdeen for several years & my dads a keen whisky fan, so I regularly came south with a bottle.

I'm no expert and there are some in that top 10 I've not tried.
But over the years my favourite of all the ones I bought back was Dalmore single malt 15years.

My scotch drinking was a process and journey. I started with blends - JB and Cutty Sark with soda. I didn't know, my older brother drank those so I tried them. Then I went to a blend and water.

Next up (and the experts from Scotland will cringe) single-malt Glenlivet on the rock with a twist (lemon). Some friends from Pepsico introduced this to me one time at lunch. Then after reading an article about Scotch in the Wall Street Journal I discovered those experts thought Americans were nuts and committing a "crime" in the manner we drank Scotch.

So I changed my ways and continued my journey and went straight up. And the brand? Always The Glenlivet. My late cousin always bought me the 21 year old at Christmas time - it came in a beautiful wood box with fancy paper and straw inside. My best present each holiday season for sure. For home drinking I have Glenlivet 15 and 21, but just maybe this year I'll splurge on a bottle of XXV. I've had it and its superb.

Back
Top Bottom