10 Grilling Myths

i just saw this thread and love it haha.
i once sent a T bone steak back 3 times because it was to rare , the 3rd time i sent it back the cook came throught the doors put his hands on his hips and stared at me , i looked him straight in the eye and said "i'm the one paying for the dang thing and i said burn it " the place erupted with people clapping and cheering for me , and yea you can bet that cook , cooked that steak MY WAY
I used to work in a restaurant. From my experience, it's best to not upset the person cooking your meal. Hopefully the place you were dining had an open kitchen so you were able to see what the people cooking your food were or weren't doing to it.

My kids like their steak just barely sizzled on the outside. An English mate of mine used to say " Cook it until I can´t see any blood" ie. shoe leather. You cook your steaks however you like them.
My dad used to say, "Slap that steer on the rump and let him run through the fire". We liked our meat rare with barely a sear growing up. I now prefer medium-rare.

My dad used to say, "Slap that steer on the rump and let him run through the fire". We liked our meat rare with barely a sear growing up. I now prefer medium-rare.
Yep, the only time I complain about my meal is when I know I’m not going to eat it, and just want my money back.

I’ve had too many restaurant people, including an award-winning, educated-in-France chef, tell me what happens to food that’s sent back by someone with an attitude.

i didn't see it as me having the attitude, after all i was quite nice about it the 1st couple of times , it was the cook that had an attitude , all i did was demand what i was paying for , nothing more , had he came to my table and said he refused to cook it the way i like it , i would have left and taken my money with me , no harm no foul

In germany Bavaria, a famous chef did write some rules on the main entrance everyone should read before entering his restaurant.

1. This is my restaurant, I own this place and I'll decide what you can choose to eat.
2. There's no extra menu for allergies/or special diets.

He'd quite the reputation and many chefs did like the way he set these rules. In interviews he explained how much he disliked the movement of a whole industry, from Butter, rich meat and flour in sauces to oil, lean cuts and starch in sauces.

He was the guy who could ensure a full house every weekend and the more guests you have, the harder it gets to react to wishes like a lactose free sauce Hollandaise, because you can't keep a Hollandaise for more than one day and you don't know how many lactose intolerant people will be coming.

In germany Bavaria, a famous chef did write some rules on the main entrance everyone should read before entering his restaurant.

1. This is my restaurant, I own this place and I'll decide what you can choose to eat.
2. There's no extra menu for allergies/or special diets.

He'd quite the reputation and many chefs did like the way he set these rules. In interviews he explained how much he disliked the movement of a whole industry, from Butter, rich meat and flour in sauces to oil, lean cuts and starch in sauces.

He was the guy who could ensure a full house every weekend and the more guests you have, the harder it gets to react to wishes like a lactose free sauce Hollandaise, because you can't keep a Hollandaise for more than one day and you don't know how many lactose intolerant people will be coming.
I'm very happy that well-marbled meat and rich sauces agree with my system. I must say I don't like a lot of flour in my sauces, but it's not because of gluten intolerance. Give me more cream!

I like this imagery better than what a friend of mine once told a server at a steakhouse when he wanted his steak rare: "Just show the meat a picture of a candle." :laugh:

My MIL used to say "Give me blood." Disgusting! My Aunt once visited a restaurant where she wanted her filet cooked well done. The chef refused to do so. I would've walked out and dragged everyone with me. At our last expensive steak house, my steak came out medium rare. I wanted it medium well. Sent it back twice. The second time the chef appeared with the waiter. He just stared at me stonily. I looked at him and looked away. How rude.

the bottom line is simple : its your money you get it your way or you don't pay for it

Back
Top Bottom