10 reasons why we get food poisoning

chocomore

Veteran
Local time
2:36 PM
I received a food hygiene booklet with a free book l bought so I thought I would share some information with you all, the main reasons for food poisoning are listed below and it is easy enough to prevent poisoning yourself.
1. Food prepared too early in advance and stored at room temperature.
2. Cooling food too slowly prior to refrigeration.
3. Not reheating food to high enough temperatures to destroy bacteria.
4. The use of cooked food contaminated with food poisoning bacteria.
5. Undercooking.
6. Not thawing frozen poultry for sufficient time.
7. Cross contamination from raw food to high risk foods.
8. The consumption of raw food such as shellfish, eggs or milk.
9. Storing hot food below 63*C.
10. Infected food handlers.

Thanks for sharing this useful information chocomore.

I believe we often fall in many of the above described practices without keeping in mind the associated poisoning risk.

However while I remember the advice of avoiding the consumption of raw milk since I was child, I can also remember myself eating raw eggs since and till today still.

Having heard about the risk of eating raw eggs lately, I feel confused. A whole life eating them that way and never suffered from any food poisoning, stomach upset or discomfort.

I thought it was just people on a fitness program that consumed raw eggs but now l know different:) if you've eaten raw eggs all your life with no problems and you enjoy it why stop.

Fresh mayonnaise is classed as a raw egg product as it is a emulsion of oil and egg yolks,also egg custards are also considered a risk as cooked at a low temp,duck eggs are a higher risk due to the ducks low resilience to salmonella ,a lot of catering chains will use pasteurized eggs,whole,white or yolk to make egg products,
These days eggs and chickens with the farming procedures are so good there is little risk,but there is a low risk!

Back
Top Bottom