15 Things to Never Put in a Dishwasher

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
11:13 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
This is from Food52. They know a lot more about such things than I do, and I know I should really listen to what they have to say, but I have to admit I do put some of these in a dishwasher. Here's their list:

1. Cast Iron

Hopefully this doesn’t come as a shock, but your cast iron pans should never go in the dishwasher. In fact, you shouldn’t even use soap on them when you can help it. Soaps and abrasive sponges can damage the finish and seasoning of your precious pan, so stick to using coarse salt to scrub it down.
  • My not-so-expert opinion - obviously!

2. Nonstick Pots & Pans

The reason it's said you should never use metal utensils on nonstick pans is that they can damage the finish, ruining the effectiveness of the nonstick surface. The same thing can happen if your pots and pans get banged around in the dishwasher—the surface can get scratched, shortening its lifespan.
  • My not-so-expert opinion - Ha....I do this all the time! It's hard to tell if there's an impact, because my kids keep doing stupid things like scraping the pans with metal spoons (I tell them that this will scrape off the teflon, which is dangerous, and which makes it so the pan is no longer non-stick. Being teenagers, of course, they know everything already, so they don't listen).
3. Crystal

Crystal glasses are delicate, and the high heat and/or water jets in your dishwasher can cause chips or cracks. Even if they do make it through the cycle, your glasses may develop a cloudy residue over time—so stick to hand-washing crystal and fine wine glasses.
  • My not-so-expert opinion - If I owned any crystal, I would certainly want to hand-wash it.

4. Wooden Cutting Boards & Utensils

Wood and dishwashers just don’t mix. The heat of the dishwasher can cause wood to warp, and the drying cycle can make it crack. So please, keep your wooden cutting boards and utensils out of the dishwasher.
  • My not-so-expert opinion - Again, obviously!

5. Insulated Travel Mugs

Most travel mugs have a special vacuum seal between the inner and outer shells, and this seal can be ruined if you put the cup in the dishwasher. Not only will this compromise the effectiveness of your favorite mug, but you may also get water in the walls that sloshes around as you drink.
  • My opinion - I've done this before, and they're absolutely right about what happens when you do. But, I still do it. I don't have an emotional attachment to any of my travel mugs, and they're cheap, so it's worth it to get clean travel mugs.

6. Copper Pans

Copper is prone to tarnishing, and the harsh conditions of the dishwasher can ultimately ruin the shine of your beautiful copper pots and pans. Given that they’re typically quite pricey, I think it’s worth hand-washing to protect your investment.
  • My not-so-expert opinion - I don't own any copper pans, but I would probably listen to what they say here.

7. Your Best Knives

Of course you can put your butter knives in the dishwasher, but you might want to think twice about putting good kitchen and prep knives through the cycle. Why? The harsh conditions of the appliance can dull the edges of blades, forcing you to sharpen them more frequently. It can also cause carbon steel and other materials to rust.
  • My not-so-expert opinion - I'm a relatively new adopter of this one. I hand-wash my good knives now.

8. Graters

There are two reasons to wash graters by hand. First, similar to with knives, the dishwasher can dull graters' blades. And second, chances are, a dishwasher won’t be able to get all the particles out of their little holes, so you’re better off doing it by hand anyway.
  • My not-so-expert opinion - Ha...I will never, ever follow this advice. I'm puzzled by the last sentence: so, I can somehow get all the little ginger bits out of each little hole myself better than a high pressure water blasting it for half an hour? Really??

9. Aluminum Pans

Both aluminum cookware and disposable aluminum trays will become discolored when put into the dishwasher, if not sealed in some way. The metal can react with water and air in a process called oxidation, and becomes covered in a dark film that then rubs off on other items.
  • My not-so-expert opinion - This is certainly true: I have washed aluminum trays that might be used at a buffet, and they do get discolored. But, it's still better than taking the time to hand wash them.

10. Pressure Cooker Lids

While technically the top of your Instant Pot is dishwasher-safe, it’s not the best cleaning option, as there are a number of important components in the lid of a pressure cooker. For instance, there are values that can get clogged with food particles, as well as seals that may be damaged by the dishwashing chemicals—both of which will shorten the lifespan of your appliance.
  • My not-so-expert opinion - I've always taken the time to hand wash pressure cooker and slow cooker lids.

11. Milk Glass

The pure white hue of milk glass makes it a treasured collection piece for many, and it’s important to learn how to care for this material properly if you want it to last. Milk glass can take on a yellow tint if put in the dishwasher too many times, so you’ll want to wash it carefully with a gentle cloth and soapy water.
  • My not-so-expert opinion - Like crystal, I don't own any of these, but I likewise would hand-wash any if I did.

12. Thin Plastic Containers

Unless you know for a fact that a plastic container is dishwasher-safe, I’d recommend scrubbing it down the old-fashioned way. Thin plastic will sometimes melt or warp in the dishwasher, rendering the container useless—a lesson I’ve learned the hard way.
  • My not-so-expert opinion - Yes...another one I've learned the hard way.

13. Pop-Top Storage Containers

Airtight storage containers are a must-have in any pantry, but when it comes time to clean them, the dishwasher is a gamble. Many say they’re dishwasher-safe, but the gaskets can warp and seals can break down if you wash them frequently.
  • My not-so-expert opinion - I always wash what many call "tupperware" components in the dishwasher, but on the top rack, where they're not as close to the heat source. I've never had an issue, except for once or twice when a lid slides down and contacts the heating elements. Then, it melts and has to be thrown away.

14. Family Heirlooms

In general, it’s best to leave anything precious that's missing cleaning instructions out of the dishwasher. This applies to fine china, your grandmother’s favorite mixing bowl, or whatever else you hold near and dear. Don’t risk it getting dinged in the dishwasher!
  • My not-so-expert opinion - This one is also obvious.

15. Items with Labels or Adhesives

If you’ve ever put an empty pasta sauce jar through the dishwasher (guilty), you know that the label comes out a torn, soggy mess. Not only will the hot water ruin the label, but the pieces that flake off can clog your dishwasher’s filter, as well.
  • My not-so-expert opinion - This is quite true, but I found an answer to this one, which I posted in my thread How to get labels off a jar (the easy way). It works! Then, after the label is gone, wash in the dishwasher as usual.

Coated cast iron, such as Staub or Le Crueset can go into the dishwasher. I usually don't do that, but I have, on a few occasions.

CD
I assumed they were talking about this type of cast iron (which I have...note that this is not mine!):

zkdbnc286ur21.jpg

Just the other day I asked DH not to put the kitchen scissors in the dishwasher. I feel that after a while, something builds up and they don't work as smoothly as they would if washed by hand.

Just the other day I asked DH not to put the kitchen scissors in the dishwasher. I feel that after a while, something builds up and they don't work as smoothly as they would if washed by hand.

That would fit with not putting knives in. I have been guilty in the past!

Until just recently, I put only dinnerware and mugs in the dishwasher; no knives or pots and pans, no mixing bowls, no plastic, no utensils, no barware.

Lately, though, I've started putting more of that stuff in. I have to run the dishwasher more often, but I'm spending a lot less time at the sink.

The wife (who thinks she's Kitchen Boss for some strange reason - how can you be the boss of a room you never enter? :laugh: did chastise me for taking the "lazy" way out, so I offered to leave the pots and pans, etc. for her to wash, but that idea was also dismissed. :laugh:

I'm pretty slack, most goes in except my main chefs knife ( bought in harrods) and my cast iron pan. The rest are easily replaced, except family stuff.

Russ

I assumed they were talking about this type of cast iron (which I have...note that this is not mine!):

View attachment 33616

Yes, raw cast iron should never go in the dishwasher. My raw cast iron never gets washed with soap. I put some water in it, bring the water to a boil, and wipe it out. It has a 20 year build up of seasoning, so that's all it takes. One trip through the dishwasher would undo that.

CD

Yes, raw cast iron should never go in the dishwasher. My raw cast iron never gets washed with soap. I put some water in it, bring the water to a boil, and wipe it out. It has a 20 year build up of seasoning, so that's all it takes. One trip through the dishwasher would undo that.

CD

Snap, I read this on another site as well. (Murican)

Russ

I don't put the following in my DW:
Cast iron, Crystal, Wooden cutting boards/utensils, My best knives, Graters (the one grater is probably 40 or 50 years old, and the handle would rust in there), Thin plastic containers, Family heirlooms (which would mean I don't put the gold leafed set of china in there - which also means I really never use this set).

I don't own copper pans, or a pressure cooker, or milk glass. (What IS milk glass? Okay I'll google that later...)

I do put in: non-stick pots and pans, SOME of the travel mugs (some say not safe in a DW so I pay attention to those), aluminum pans, pop top storage containers (top shelf only), and items with labels.

The labels are a pain so I just wait until after several bouts through the DW they eventually come off...

BUT - I've bought water soluble labels that I adhere to my dry good storage containers - the things I put my opened flours and grains into for storage so bugs don't get at 'em. They're made of a kind of sugar that dissolves in water and you can find them on Amazon. No muss, no fuss!

Back
Top Bottom