20/20 Diet

kgord

Veteran
Local time
8:42 AM
I have been thinking of going on this. For those who don't know, it is the book by the American TV talk show host and psychologist Dr. Phil. Has anyone been on this? It includes recipes. How are they? Are they easy to make? Are they expensive? I am wondering how much it costs to make them

I've heard of it but I'm not a fan of diet plans. It can work for some, but you need to be totally committed and follow the rules. Most people (including me!) can't sustain this. Have a look at this, which ways up the pros and cons of the 20/20 plan.
http://www.dietsinreview.com/diets/dr-phil-20-20-diet/

The way I diet is simple. I just stick to around 1200 calories for five days a week and then eat more at weekends. But I'm probably lucky, as I don't particularly like fatty foods or sweet foods. You have to work out what your weak points are. If its sugar, then there are now some very good healthy zero calorie plant alternatives for sweetening foods. Its also worth working out a few diet cheats, like substituting almond milk for semi-skimmed cow's milk. This has saved me over 200 calories a day and I actually prefer it! Eating vegetarian also helps, providing you avoid adding lots of oil or too much cheese or nuts.

My weak point is alcohol, which piles up calories. So I have to be fierce about eating less if I have a drink. Not particularly healthy, I know! :(

I do my diet by myself and my only guide in dieting is the volume of food I eat. With recipes that can hasten weight loss, I have already tried so many like the Southbeach diet and the Mediterranean diet. They are almost all the same with the vegetable, fruits, nuts that you have to include in your menu. But the real reason why you lose weight is the little volume of intake. With nuts, you cannot go wrong that's why I snack on nuts when I am on a diet.

The only person to benefit is the writer of the book. Calories in vs calories out is the only real way to diet. If you spend a lot of time running carrying a 60lb pack [as in the army] you can eat a LOT of food - if you sit in an office all day you can't, it's a simple if boring equation that nobody makes money from but it is true

I do my diet by myself and my only guide in dieting is the volume of food I eat. With recipes that can hasten weight loss, I have already tried so many like the Southbeach diet and the Mediterranean diet. They are almost all the same with the vegetable, fruits, nuts that you have to include in your menu. But the real reason why you lose weight is the little volume of intake. With nuts, you cannot go wrong that's why I snack on nuts when I am on a diet.
I'm surprised you say this about nuts as they are extremely high in calories! Its ok if you eat a few but if you eat, for example a big handful of almonds is about 200 Kcals!

Every so-called diet plan I've ever seen appears to be nothing more than quack (ahem!) medicine. Sometimes, I have the temptation to put up one of those signs with my telephone number on it with a message saying "Diet advice - £10". Then it's just a case of waiting for the calls to flood in and telling them, "Don't eat so much."

I have never been a fan of following diets. I find most of them are just too complicated. Everybody is out to make money in the weight loss industry. They know people will buy anything when it comes to a quick fix. Nothing is ever a quick fix though. In order to lose weight it has to be a lifestyle change and something you can live with. The only way to lose weight and be healthy is to watch what you eat, make healthy choice, exercise and drink plenty of water.

Well, I agree with the above comments, but I also think that sometimes we have to give our metabolism a kick to get going. I think that every diet plan can be helpful in the short term and after a while it just becomes a habit. I am willing to give it a try as long as the food doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I will post some of the recipes if I like them. I have to get the book first though! lol

Well, I agree with the above comments, but I also think that sometimes we have to give our metabolism a kick to get going. I think that every diet plan can be helpful in the short term and after a while it just becomes a habit. I am willing to give it a try as long as the food doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I will post some of the recipes if I like them. I have to get the book first though! lol

I agree, sometimes it helps to change up how we're doing things, in addition to cutting back and increasing our activity level. I'm looking forward to seeing some of the recipes you post. I've heard the diet mentioned, but haven't looked into it. Now that it's starting to get cooler out, my activity should pick up, and conversely to how it worked back home, I'll be more active, and will maintain my weight or lose a little over the Winter, then pick it up when I'm more sedentary and stuck in the house during the hot weather.

Back
Top Bottom