2019 Advent Calendars

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
5:30 AM
At the suggestion of SatNavSaysStraightOn, here's the 2019 Advent calendar topic! I'll get things rolling with a recap of mine:

1. Our original wooden Advent calendar, probably 12 years old. Before this one, we just bought disposable pre-filled cardboard ones.

2. MrsTasty saw this one and liked it, so this is our new one. Much smaller compartments, so this one will go on display, while the original one will get loaded with treats.

3. Today, I picked up matching wine and cheese calendars from Aldi. This is the shipping box.

And here it is unboxed.

And the contents.

4. Here's the matching cheese one. The cheeses are meant to be paired with the wines.

And the contents (three of each cheese, I suppose).

Let's see your Advent calendar (if you have one)!

I made one out of felt and sequins for DD when she was very young. The DGDs have also used it. It has little pockets that tiny felt ornaments were in with room for small candies and/or coins/folded money. When she gets her Christmas stuff out, I'll ask her to send a picture. The theme of it if I remember correctly was Santa's workshop. DD was 41 this year so it's pushing 40 years old.

At the suggestion of SatNavSaysStraightOn, here's the 2019 Advent calendar topic! I'll get things rolling with a recap of mine:

1. Our original wooden Advent calendar, probably 12 years old. Before this one, we just bought disposable pre-filled cardboard ones.

2. MrsTasty saw this one and liked it, so this is our new one. Much smaller compartments, so this one will go on display, while the original one will get loaded with treats.

3. Today, I picked up matching wine and cheese calendars from Aldi. This is the shipping box.

And here it is unboxed.

And the contents.

4. Here's the matching cheese one. The cheeses are meant to be paired with the wines.

And the contents (three of each cheese, I suppose).

Let's see your Advent calendar (if you have one)!

And the Queen who watches over it from up there is even more approved

Mine will be the same as last year, and the year before, and the year before that, etc.

I made one out of felt and sequins for DD when she was very young. The DGDs have also used it. It has little pockets that tiny felt ornaments were in with room for small candies and/or coins/folded money. When she gets her Christmas stuff out, I'll ask her to send a picture. The theme of it if I remember correctly was Santa's workshop. DD was 41 this year so it's pushing 40 years old.

My mom made something similar in felt and decorations for... her dog. It has small milk bones in each pocket.

CD

My mom made something similar in felt and decorations for... her dog. It has small milk bones in each pocket.

CD
Aldi's was also carrying a doggie advent calendar. Sam's Club has one as well, with the added benefit of being grain-free!

Wikipedia source:
The advent calendar of Legnano
The city of Legnano (Milan) from 2017 organizes an Advent Calendar in Piazza San Magno, involving an artist every year. The twenty-four subjects that are discovered each day have been reproduced in panels of 300 x 200 cm each. The surface of the Calendar, arranged on the facade of a historic building, is 331,280 m2. The complete installation is 388.856 m2. This makes it the largest Advent Calendar in Europe.

Grain free may not be a benefit anymore according to a study that found a lot of dogs fed a grain free diet are developing heart problems.
We've had lifetime digestive issues with our dog. At various times, she's been diagnosed with IBS, colitis, diverticulitis, and some unnamed condition that affects the process of emptying her stomach contents into her intestines.

We tried everything, no luck, and asked the vet about grain-free, and she said there wasn't any harm in trying, though there wasn't much evidence that a dog could even have a grain intolerance.

It's been a miracle for us. She went from twice-a-month outbreaks of exploding bloody diarrhea (and always at 3AM-4AM) that would last 10 or 12 hours to having one or two a year.

I don't know if it's the grain-free, but that's all we changed, and she's been so settled the last three or four years, we're just thankful whatever's working is working.

This is ours. Each pocket is big enough for a couple of chocolates. We buy some very nice dairy free handmade chocolates, though I could try making my own again. It's been a while but I still have the instructions from my truffle making course and it was huge fun. Perhaps a mix of both is in order.

As I mentioned earlier, the new advent calendar will be used for display only this year (though that may change - I did find some tiny German chocolates at Aldi that I may sneak in there), and the old one will be used for the wife's goodies. It has ample room for larger treats.

She gets disappointed if her surprises are chocolates every day, so I'm sneaking these in:

Back
Top Bottom