2023 New Year's Eve and Day

msmofet

🐰 🌹 Still trying to get it right.
Local time
3:35 AM
This is a tentative menu which may change.

I make small amounts of each dish. We have this for both days and several days after.

New Year's Eve and New Year's Day Menu:

Items for Sandwiches

Dilusso Genoa Salami
Imported Ham
Bologna
Smoked Turkey Breast
Provolone
American cheese
Tomato
Lettuce
Red Onion
Italian Bread
Rolls

Salads/Dips

Chili Con Queso
Macaroni Salad
Potato Salad
Olive salad
Kidney & Cannellini Bean Salad
Black Bean and Corn Salad/Salsa
Salsa
Onion Dip
Green Olive Tapenade
Blue cheese dip

Assorted Chips
Baguette

Dessert

Cheesecake with Cherry topping
Fruit Tart (Strawberries & Blackberries)

Beverage

Soda
Sparkling Cranberry Apple cider
Asti

We only have a general idea so far, but things will come together after my cooking partner/best friend arrives next weekend (he lives in Idaho but has a second home nearby me for trips, parties, and friends).

Stuff already determined: he'll do some kind of beef thing with a morel reduction, which he and Picky Eater can enjoy. I'll be doing eggplant and spinach pkhali, some pot sticker-like dumplings with Beyond or Impossible Meat for my vegan and mushroom-allergic daughter, wild mushroom Napoleons for me, a few TBD vegetable dishes, and an arugula-heavy salad with roast beets and fennel. We'll bake some focaccias in advance. Picky Eater is making a flourless chocolate cake for dessert.

Drinks: Much local Riesling from Forge (Seneca Lake), and some new release Saperavi from Dr Frank (Keuka Lake) that we're super curious to try. My cooking partner is hauling in some aged Bordeaux (I think a couple vintages of Haut-Brion like the '89 and '90), and I believe it's time to crack that magnum of '95 Jasmin Cote-Rotie that's been collecting dust in my cellar. Dessert will have a 1986 Banyuls to go with Picky Eater's cake and then a vintage Port ('92 Fonseca) to relax with. For the midnight drinks, I have a couple grower zero dosage Champagnes.

This will be Picky Eater's first New Year's with me, and she'll be meeting my cooking partner and daughter for the first time as well. She'll never know what hit her.

Going to be a simple -and old fashioned new year's celebration here because it's just the two of us and our cat. We don't go out on New Year's due to the cat and the intensity of fireworks here, it's always like a warzone so you have to make sure your property doesn't burn down due to stray fireworks on your balcony or roof.

Here in NL having a small cold buffet is the usual style of New Year's dinner.

We're having:

Devilled eggs
Mini meatballs
Potato salad
Tzatziki
Olives
French sausages
Cheese
Bread & dips
Oliebollen (Dutch New Year's donuts)
Winter spiced mead
Beer

The plan for us is to ignore New Year's Eve and get to bed early because we'll we up around 5am, to be on the road for 5:30am for the 1½hr hour drive to a nature reserve. Breakfast will be eaten when we arrive at the sanctuary where we can eat it quietly watching and waiting for the platypus to show themselves. This year, I'll take the big camera and long lens and see if I can get any decent photos of them. Last year (or more accurately this year!) we were really fortunate to see 4 separate platypus swimming in 2 pools. Hubby was telling me to look at the one he'd spotted and I established (twice) that I wad looking at a different platypus to the one he was watching.

But as with watching wild otters in the sea, you have to be quiet, patient and not move around. Not one for kids! We'll take a picnic breakfast with us, the same as last time and eat whilst they adjust to our presence.

This was last year's pikelets and fruit for brekkie.

We only have a general idea so far, but things will come together after my cooking partner/best friend arrives next weekend (he lives in Idaho but has a second home nearby me for trips, parties, and friends).

Your menu sounds very promising. Well, you know, I'd happily drop in!

This will be Picky Eater's first New Year's with me, and she'll be meeting my cooking partner and daughter for the first time as well. She'll never know what hit her.

Good luck!

This is a tentative menu which may change.

I make small amounts of each dish. We have this for both days and several days after.

New Year's Eve and New Year's Day Menu:

Items for Sandwiches

Dilusso Genoa Salami
Imported Ham
Bologna
Smoked Turkey Breast
Provolone
American cheese
Tomato
Lettuce
Red Onion
Italian Bread
Rolls

Salads/Dips

Chili Con Queso
Macaroni Salad
Potato Salad
Olive salad
Kidney & Cannellini Bean Salad
Black Bean and Corn Salad/Salsa
Salsa
Onion Dip
Green Olive Tapenade
Blue cheese dip
I sometimes do menus like this, because it´s basically comfort food, and that´s what we want for "special" occasions".
And then I start thinking (always a dangerous thing in my case!) - "how about I find a really, REALLY good Italian deli and buy some salami from there? And maybe they´ve got some wonderful ham from, Tuscany, and some authentic Mortadella? And maybe some wierd cheese from Priuli, or Sorrento, or Porto Ferraio, or whatever?"
Then I look at the salads and say "LOVE that stuff!!"
10 minutes later:
" Suppose I make the potato salad with roasted beetroot and horseradish? And a touch of dill?"
"Olive salad with.... roasted red peppers? OH YES!! And some big fat capers and anchovies!!"
"Didn´t I see a blue cheese dip with caramelized onions recently? Heck, yes - let me find it...."

So I end up spending 24 hours sweating over a hot stove, making straightforward, delicious, heartwarming recipes more complicated!!

some pot sticker-like dumplings with Beyond or Impossible Meat for my vegan and mushroom-allergic daughte
Got it! Vegan mantu with Impossible ground "beef." Kaddo bourani. That will feed both daughter and me, and Picky Eater might even try them if she's not too stuffed with prime rib filet. I'll synthesize a vegan substitute for the yoghurt.

The plan is coming together...

Last edited:

So, you will be having potatoes?

CD

So, you will be having potatoes?

CD
Indeed yes, no joke. When we talked last night, he decided that the beef dish will be a Chateaubriand in a morel and red wine reduction, then a side of one of our favorites, potato and Brussels sprouts latkes (shredded potatoes and sprouts, with some chopped pecans and caraway). The latkes are suitable for our vegans and vegetarians as well.

Indeed yes, no joke. When we talked last night, he decided that the beef dish will be a Chateaubriand in a morel and red wine reduction, then a side of one of our favorites, potato and Brussels sprouts latkes (shredded potatoes and sprouts, with some chopped pecans and caraway). The latkes are suitable for our vegans and vegetarians as well.

If he is a Boise State fan, slip some Ex-Lax into his coffee. I will pay you to do it. :wink:

CD :D

We went over to visit friends last night to ring in the new year. They put together a rather epic charcuterie spead. Many different meats, 5 different cheeses, pickles, olives, veg, crackers, and husband brought a loaf of fresh bread he’d made.

We had martinis and manhattans to drink, and popped a bottle of bubbly at midnight.

All said, we were up playing video games until 2 am - great way to ring in 2023!

Back
Top Bottom