Recipe 4-cheese muffins

MypinchofItaly

Forum GOD!
Local time
1:02 PM
Website
mypinchofitaly.co.uk

4-cheese muffins, tasty appetiser or snack. I have used the cheeses usually used for the Italian 4-cheese sauce, obviously you can use the ones you like the most and that you have available. I've also added a boiled mashed potato since it makes them even softer. It is not unusual to add a boiled potato to baked goods, especially in Southern Italy.

Makes 6 muffins, Preparation 20 mins, Cooking about 40 mins (included potato cooking)

• 250 g flour 00 / Plain Flour / All Purpose Flour
  • 40 g Fontina cheese
  • 40 g Gorgonzola cheese, sweet or spicy
  • 40 g grated Parmigiano cheese
  • 40 g Taleggio or smoked Scamorza cheese
  • 1 egg
  • 50 ml sunflower oil
  • a small sized boiled potato
  • 50 ml of whole milk at room temperature
  • a teaspoon of instant dried yeast
  • salt and pepper, to taste
Method

Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6. Line a 6 hole muffin tray with paper muffin cases.

Tip: If you don’t have paper muffin cases, lightly oil the muffins tray.

Peel and boil the potato, preferably cut it into small chunks so it will cook earlier. As soon as it is ready, drain it and mash it with a fork or with a potato masher.

Cut all the cheeses into cubes, set them aside with the grated Parmigiano.

Beat the egg in a bowl with the milk and seed oil.

In another bowl, sift the flour and baking powder. Add the mashed potato, the cheeses, leaving some grated Parmigiano aside. Pour in the liquid ingredients and mix, add a heaped teaspoon of fine salt and a pinch of pepper, mix well.

Transfer the mixture into muffin mould. Add the rest of grated Parmigiano cheese on top of each muffin.

Bake in the preheated oven for about 15 to 20 minutes. To check if they are ready just do the ‘toothpick test’, i.e. insert a toothpick or a wooden toothpick into the muffin, if it comes out dry it is ready, otherwise cook for a few more minutes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom