40 Years Ago This Month

My active duty service ended over 25 years ago. I really don't think too much about what might have been, but the one thing I do somewhat wish I'd done differently was to stay overseas when my first in the UK ended.

But here's the reason I don't think about it a lot: I could have done that, and two weeks into my new tour, been flattened by a runaway milk float or fallen off the parapet of some castle I was visiting, or Princess Anne could have stolen me away to be her boy-toy, who's to say?

My wife will occasionally say that we made a mistake coming back, but I don't believe in destiny or fate, just that every decision we've ever made has led us to where we are today, and we have a decent life now, so I don't dwell on it. It's too easy to look at one decision, and forget about all the ramifications that could potentially happen because of that.

40 Years ago today, I was a senior in college/university. After classes and on weekends, I worked in a camera shop. Evenings, I ate pizza and drank beer -- or got together with my friends to cook good food... and drink beer.

CD

40 years ago I was a 6 y old 1st grade school kid, just started wearing glasses, slipped on wet leaves and broke a front tooth, playing piano rather well,attending two schools,the music one and the regular one,and had a teacher tell me I was going to have beautiful handwriting. My memories of that time are just flashlights, short blinks of impressions.

Back
Top Bottom