A chilly question of a murican?

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
9:46 AM
I caught the end of a programme on tv a couple of nights ago, they were picking round red chillies, I've never seen or heard of them, called chill........ Something like chillteners??? Grown in the dessert, I should have written the word down, supposed to be 10 times hotter than jalopenos?? I was out and knew I should have written the name down!! Now I can't think of it?
Someone here will know or tried these.

Russ

Perhaps Chiltepin peppers? They are red, and around pea to cherry size. The chili goes by many other names as well, including bird pepper, chile tepin, chiltepe, and simply tepin.

I have never heard of them, but they are an American pepper. They range from 50,000 to 100,000 Scoville heat units on the pepper scale, with the chance for a bit hotter if a crop had an ideally wet growing season. This makes it equal with Thai peppers in terms of overall heat and about 23 times spicier than your standard jalapeño.

That's all I could find. I have no idea where to get them. Probably online only.

CD

Perhaps Chiltepin peppers? They are red, and around pea to cherry size. The chili goes by many other names as well, including bird pepper, chile tepin, chiltepe, and simply tepin.

I have never heard of them, but they are an American pepper. They range from 50,000 to 100,000 Scoville heat units on the pepper scale, with the chance for a bit hotter if a crop had an ideally wet growing season. This makes it equal with Thai peppers in terms of overall heat and about 23 times spicier than your standard jalapeño.

That's all I could find. I have no idea where to get them. Probably online only.

CD

I thought you would know, now I know them as chiltipin. I will get the wife to find some on line. If she can find them, I'm growing them this summer. Looking forward to it.
Thanks btw
Russ

Yes - Chiltepin. They look like berries:

1591346026671.png

1591346041932.png

Apparently, no other chilli has so many names:

chiltepe, chiltepillo, chile tepin, chile de Chiapas, chile parado, chiltepec, chile del monte, totocuitlatl, pico de paloma, pajaro pequeno, pico de pajaro, chilpaya, diente de tlacuache, tlilchilli, bird peppers...

See here for more info: https://www.worldofchillies.com/off...co/chilliclub_chiltepin/chiltepin-chilli.html

Yes - Chiltepin. They look like berries:

View attachment 41576

View attachment 41577

Apparently, no other chilli has so many names:

chiltepe, chiltepillo, chile tepin, chile de Chiapas, chile parado, chiltepec, chile del monte, totocuitlatl, pico de paloma, pajaro pequeno, pico de pajaro, chilpaya, diente de tlacuache, tlilchilli, bird peppers...

See here for more info: https://www.worldofchillies.com/off...co/chilliclub_chiltepin/chiltepin-chilli.html

Ok according to the wife, we can get these from Amazon, two packets are $7 nz but freight and taxes take it to $27. She going to look around other places.

Good pic of them Morning Glory

Russ

Back
Top Bottom