A healthly cooking oil

chocomore

Veteran
Local time
6:39 AM
I always thought olive oil was the best oil for you but l wondering if there is something better, does anyone have any suggestions?

Olive oil is no good for deep frying. I use sunflower oil for that, but I do use olive oil for shallow frying. Of course, I try to keep away from the frying pan if I possibly can, because it's not a healthy way to cook. The other thing I do is to drain everything I fry on kitchen paper before I serve it up, then at least I'm limiting the damage a little.

I would think olive oil. It's pretty much all that I use, even in baking. I work at a health clinic and our nutritionist and doctor that specializes in diabetes are always ranting about how much they hate the coconut oil craze; they say it's just as bad as using real butter.

I use grapeseed oil. It's great for high heat. It also has a lighter taste than olive oil. Olive oil tends to overpower the food.

Coconut oil is supposed to be very healthy, but I haven't tried it yet. I have been meaning too, but I haven't used up my grapeseed oil.

I had never heard of grapeseed oil. I will have to try that out and see if I will like it. I usually just use olive or canola oil.

I never thought about using coconut oil and l find it strange that's it like butter, you'd expect it to have a more natural taste and look, l'll try canola and grapeseed oil so l can compare:)

I use grapeseed oil a lot in my cooking if the recipe requires deep frying. Otherwise good old olive oil. I tend to use a mixture of coconut oil and ghee when I make curries, especially South Indian-style masalas.

Also, I like to use a little bit of sesame oil with my Chinese stir-fries, the flavors are awesome!

I've always used olive oil however just yesterday I opted to try sunflower oil instead. Not sure if it's healthier or not but the taste seems to be a lot more neutral.

We use sunflower oil and coconut oil for cooking. That is more or less the trend here in India. Olive oil is sparsely used and not much of cooking is done in it. Yes, olive oils are way more healthier than sunflower and coconut oil for sure. However, that doesn't stop us from consuming the unhealthy oils.

Now that it's been a month I have to say that I prefer using sunflower oil! Somehow I was always fixed on olive oil but I'm glad I decided to change a bit. I don't see myself going back to olive oil except for salads.

I've always though the coconut oil thing was nothing more than a fad to drum up sales on mass produced coconut products. I used to see it listed all the time as an ingredient in junk foods. Then when all the low fat/health conscious stuff popped up in the media and Olive Oil became the health nut's darling oil, I started to see less of Coconut oil in ingredient lists. Now it's back, and with a heft price tag to boot. I would imagine in a few more years the bubble is going to burst on that stuff.

Before we used Canola oil for cooking but when we learned about the health benefits of Olive oil it is now the one that we are using. But when we are cooking stir fried vegetables and on soups we used sesame oil and it always gives a different flavor to these foods.

I tend to switch between olive oil, coconut oil, canola oil and grapeseed oil, depending on what I'm cooking and what we have in stock. As for coconut oil, my mom uses it in her baking on a regular basis.

@ReadmeByAmy I imagine sesame seed oil, would be perfect for stir frys. I'll have to try it as I'll cook a vegetable and tofu stir fry at least once every 2 weeks.

@Florabelle...Yes you should try sesame oil in spinach and mushroom too aside from the tofu. We also put some sesame seeds after we stir fry the vegetables and the tofu and it had a good taste.

As far as I know, using olive oil is the best thing you can do for your health! However I personally think it's too expensive to make every food with it, and it also has a stronger taste than other oils, which makes it impractical to use it in every meal you prepare. I use Canola oil, I always heard it was healthier than other regular oils.

Back
Top Bottom