A Hundred Years Ago

Termyn8or

Local time
4:57 AM
In 1920 a dozen eggs cost 47 cent. Sounds great today when making $30,000 to $50,000 a year eh ? Well that was the equivalent of about six bucks.

There is more to it, like no food processor. Many things had not been invented yet

If you only had a kitchen with with they had in 1920, how would you proceed ?

First of all, what would you make ?

T

I'd have chickens (grin). Of course they don't lay much in the winter, but the rest of the year, an abundance of eggs for laying, which could end up scrambled, in omelets, or in baked goods. The chickens would start making new chickens about now - hatching as a first batch mid June. The females would be allowed to develop into egg layers, and the cockerels would be allowed to last about 4 - 5 months - when most would be slaughtered for dinner, and a few select ones would be allowed to fertilize future eggs. Hens would be slaughtered when they were too old to lay more - these ones would have to be stewed, as they'd be tough.

The icebox would be used instead of a true refrigerator. And cast iron cookware. Most veggies would be eaten seasonally, and some of the hardier things (winter squash, potatoes, onions) could stay in a root cellar. I'd probably never run into my favorite herbs and spices of today, but on the other hand, I'd be out there foraging in the proper seasons. Ovens were around, fueled by some type of gas. The mortar and pestle was the grinding tool of choice. I'd be dehydrating food outside on non-humid days or near a smoldering fire.

I'd also go out fishing for additional protein.

(More thoughts, I'm sure.)

Back
Top Bottom